The Quest for Higher Growth in the WAEMU Region; The Role of Accelerations and Decelerations
With the exception of Burkina Faso and Mali, the growth experience for WAEMU countries has been disappointing, even when compared to other sub-Saharan African (SSA) countries. The main objective of the paper is to investigate why the quest for a growth takeoff has been more elusive in the WAEMU countries compared to other SSA countries. To do this, the paper focuses on the determinants of growth accelerations and decelerations in SSA and the WAEMU. It finds that the variables most closely associated with growth accelerations and decelerations in SSA are changes in terms of trade, private investment, civil tension, real exchange rates, and inflation. Second, as found elsewhere in the literature, there is a certain asymmetry between accelerations and decelerations, in both frequency and determinants, and that the WAEMU region is quite different from the rest of SSA.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta C. Saxena, 2005.
"Growth Dynamics: The Myth of Economic Recovery,"
- Alan Gelb & Vijaya Ramachandran & Ginger Turner, 2007. "Stimulating Growth and Investment in Africa: From Macro to Micro Reforms," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 19(1), pages 26-51.
- Jean-Paul Azam, 2004.
"Poverty and Growth in the WAEMU after the 1994 Devaluation,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(4), pages 536-562, December.
- Azam, Jean-Paul, 2004. "Poverty and Growth in the WAEMU after the 1994 Devaluation," WIDER Working Paper Series 019, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Azam, Jean-Paul, 2003. "Poverty and Growth in the WAEMU after the 1994 Devaluation," IDEI Working Papers 197, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Azariadis, Costas & Stachurski, John, 2005.
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 5
- Berg, Andrew & Papageorgiou, Chris & Pattillo, Catherine & Spatafora, Nicola, 2011.
"The end of an era? The medium- and long-term effects of the global crisis on growth in low-income countries,"
IAMO Forum 2011: Will the "BRICs Decade" Continue? – Prospects for Trade and Growth
25, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Chris Papageorgiou & Andrew Berg & Catherine A Pattillo & Nicola Spatafora, 2010. "The End of An Era? the Medium- and Long-Term Effects of the Global Crisison Growth in Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 10/205, .
- Abebe Aemro Selassie, 2008. "Beyond Macroeconomic Stability; The Quest for Industrialization in Uganda," IMF Working Papers 08/231, .
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4399 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael Grimm & Isabel Günther, 2005.
"Growth and Poverty in Burkina Faso. A Reassessment of the Paradox,"
DT/2005/07, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Michael Grimm & Isabel Günther, 2007. "Growth and Poverty in Burkina Faso: A Reassessment of the Paradox," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 16(1), pages 70-101, January.
- Michael Grimm & Isabel Günther, 2005. "Growth and Poverty in Burkina Faso: A Reassessment of the Paradox," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 482, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Olessia Korbut & Gonzalo Salinas & Cheikh A. Gueye, 2011. "Growth in Africa Under Peace and Market Reforms," IMF Working Papers 11/40, .
- Hans Weisfeld & Manuela Goretti, 2008. "Trade in the WAEMU; Developments and Reform Opportunities," IMF Working Papers 08/68, .
- Jorge Saba Arbache & John Page, 2010. "How Fragile Is Africa's Recent Growth?," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 19(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Patrick Imam & Gonzalo Salinas, 2015.
"Explaining Episodes of Growth Accelerations, Decelerations, and Collapses in Western Africa,"
Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 6(01), pages 1-33.
- Gonzalo Salinas & Patrick A. Imam, 2008. "Explaining Episodes of Growth Accelerations, Decelerations, and Collapses in Western Africa," IMF Working Papers 08/287, .
- International Monetary Fund, 2009. "Spillovers From the Rest of the World Into Sub-Saharan African Countries," IMF Working Papers 09/155, .
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:11/174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.