Recovery Determinants of Distressed Banks; Regulators, Market Discipline, or the Environment?
Based on detailed regulatory intervention data among German banks during 1994-2008, we test if supervisory measures affect the likelihood and the timing of bank recovery. Severe regulatory measures increase both the likelihood of recovery and its duration while weak measures are insignificant. With the benefit of hindsight, we exclude banks that eventually exit the market due to restructuring mergers. Our results remain intact, thus providing no evidence of "bad" bank selection for intervention purposes on the side of regulators. More transparent publication requirements of public incorporation that indicate more exposure to market discipline are barely or not at all significant. Increasing earnings and cleaning credit portfolios are consistently of importance to increase recovery likelihood, whereas earnings growth accelerates the timing of recovery. Macroeconomic conditions also matter for bank recovery. Hence, concerted micro- and macro-prudential policies are key to facilitate distressed bank recovery.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaufman, George G., 1995. "FDICIA and bank capital," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 721-722, June.
- María J. Nieto & Larry D. Wall, 2007.
"Preconditions for a successful implementation of supervisors' Prompt Corrective Action: Is there a case for a banking standard in the EU?,"
0702, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Larry Wall & Maria Nieto, 2006. "Precondition for a Successful Implementation of Supervisors' Primpt Corrective Action: Is There a Case for a Banking Standard in the EU?," FMG Special Papers sp165, Financial Markets Group.
- Allen N. Berger & Sally M. Davies & Mark J. Flannery, 2000.
"Comparing market and supervisory assessments of bank performance: who knows what when?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 641-670.
- Berger, Allen N & Davies, Sally M & Flannery, Mark J, 2000. "Comparing Market and Supervisory Assessments of Bank Performance: Who Knows What When?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 641-67, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Sally M. Davies & Mark J. Flannery, 1998. "Comparing market and supervisory assessments of bank performance: who knows what when?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-32, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Atul Gupta & Lalatendu Misra, 1999. "Failure and Failure Resolution in the US Thrift and Banking Industries," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 28(4), Winter.
- Peter Schmidt & Ann Dryden Witte, 1987.
"Predicting Criminal Recidivism Using "Split Population" Survival Time Models,"
NBER Working Papers
2445, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schmidt, Peter & Witte, Ann Dryden, 1989. "Predicting criminal recidivism using 'split population' survival time models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 141-159, January.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Bharath, Sreedhar T. & Srinivasan, Anand, 2007. "Does industry-wide distress affect defaulted firms? Evidence from creditor recoveries," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 787-821, September.
- Dahiya, Sandeep & John, Kose & Puri, Manju & Ramirez, Gabriel, 2003. "Debtor-in-possession financing and bankruptcy resolution: Empirical evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 259-280, July.
- Levine, Ross, 2002.
"Bank-Based or Market-Based Financial Systems: Which Is Better?,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 398-428, October.
- Ross Levine, 2002. "Bank-Based or Market-Based Financial Systems: Which is Better?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 442, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ross Levine, 2002. "Bank-Based or Market-Based Financial Systems: Which is Better?," NBER Working Papers 9138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kick, Thomas & Koetter, Michael, 2007.
"Slippery slopes of stress: Ordered failure events in German banking,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 132-148, July.
- Koetter, Michael & Kick, Thomas, 2007. "Slippery slopes of stress: ordered failure events in German banking," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2007,03, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K Kashyap, 2008.
"Will the U.S. Bank Recapitalization Succeed? Eight Lessons from Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
14401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil K, 2010. "Will the U.S. bank recapitalization succeed? Eight lessons from Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 398-417, September.
- Arturo Estrella & Sangkyun Park & Stavros Peristiani, 2000. "Capital ratios as predictors of bank failure," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 33-52.
- Flannery, Mark J & Houston, Joel F, 1999. "The Value of a Government Monitor for U.S. Banking Firms," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(1), pages 14-34, February.
- Dahl, Drew & Spivey, Michael F., 1995. "Prompt corrective action and bank efforts to recover from undercapitalization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 225-243, May.
- Bandopadhyaya, Arindam, 1994. "An Estimation of the Hazard Rate of Firms under Chapter 11 Protection," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 346-50, May.
- Lelyveld, Iman van & Liedorp, Franka, 2004.
"Interbank Contagion in the Dutch Banking Sector,"
651, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 11 Jul 2005.
- Upper, Christian & Worms, Andreas, 2004.
"Estimating bilateral exposures in the German interbank market: Is there a danger of contagion?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 827-849, August.
- Christian Upper & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Estimating bilateral exposures in the German interbank market: is there a danger of contagion?," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Marrying the macro- and micro-prudential dimensions of financial stability, volume 1, pages 211-229 Bank for International Settlements.
- Upper, Christian & Worms, Andreas, 2002. "Estimating Bilateral Exposures in the German Interbank Market: Is there a Danger of Contagion?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Paola Bongini & Stijn Claessens & Giovanni Ferri, 2001.
"The Political Economy of Distress in East Asian Financial Institutions,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 19(1), pages 5-25, February.
- Bongini, Paola & Claessens, Stijn & Ferri, Giovanni, 2000. "The political economy of distress in East Asian financial institutions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2265, The World Bank.
- Kalay, Avner & Singhal, Rajeev & Tashjian, Elizabeth, 2007. "Is Chapter 11 costly?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 772-796, June.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren & Geoffrey M. B. Tootell, 1999.
"Is bank supervision central to central banking?,"
99-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Ramon P. DeGennaro & Larry H.P. Lang & James B. Thomson, 1993. "Troubled Savings and Loan Institutions: Turnaround Strategies Under Insolvency," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(3), Fall.
- Gan, Jie, 2004. "Banking market structure and financial stability: Evidence from the Texas real estate crisis in the 1980s," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 567-601, September.
- DeYoung, Robert, 2003. "The failure of new entrants in commercial banking markets: a split-population duration analysis," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 7-33.
- George J. Benston, 1994. "Universal Banking," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(3), pages 121-143, Summer.
- Arturo Bris & Ivo Welch & Ning Zhu, 2006. "The Costs of Bankruptcy: Chapter 7 Liquidation versus Chapter 11 Reorganization," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(3), pages 1253-1303, 06.
- Guo, Lin, 1999. "When and why did FSLIC resolve insolvent thrifts?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 955-990, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:10/27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.