Public Capital and Growth
This paper estimates the impact of public capital on economic growth for forty-eight OECD and non-OECD countries during 1960 - 2001. Using the production function and its extensions, it finds a positive - but concave - elasticity of output with respect to public capital, which is robust to changes in time intervals and varying depreciation rates. Furthermore, in non-OECD countries the growth impact of public capital is higher once longer time intervals are considered.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Canning, David, 1999. "Infrastructure's contribution to aggregate output," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2246, The World Bank.
- Jose Miguel Albala-Bertrand, 2004. "Can the Composition of Capital Constrain Potential Output? A Gap Approach," Working Papers 510, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Clements, Benedict & Baldacci, Emanuele & Mulas-Granados, Carlos, 2005. "Fiscal policy, expenditure composition, and growth in low-income countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 441-463, April.
- Blanca Sanchez-Robles, 1998. "Infrastructure Investment And Growth: Some Empirical Evidence," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(1), pages 98-108, 01.
- F. Arestoff & Christophe Hurlin, 2008.
"Estimates of Government Net Capital Stocks for 26 Developing Countries, 1970-2002,"
- Arestoff, Florence & Hurlin, Christophe, 2006. "Estimates of government net capital stocks for 26 developing countries, 1970-2002," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3858, The World Bank.
- JosÈ M. Albala-Bertrand & Emmanuel C. Mamatzakis, 2004.
"The Impact of Public Infrastructure on the Productivity of the Chilean Economy,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 266-278, 05.
- Jose Miguel Albala-Bertrand & Emmanouel C. Mamatzakis, 2001. "The Impact of Public Infrastructure on the Productivity of the Chilean Economy," Working Papers 435, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:10/175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.