Public Capital and Growth
This paper estimates the impact of public capital on economic growth for forty-eight OECD and non-OECD countries during 1960 - 2001. Using the production function and its extensions, it finds a positive - but concave - elasticity of output with respect to public capital, which is robust to changes in time intervals and varying depreciation rates. Furthermore, in non-OECD countries the growth impact of public capital is higher once longer time intervals are considered.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Canning, David, 1999. "Infrastructure's contribution to aggregate output," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2246, The World Bank.
- Arestoff, Florence & Hurlin, Christophe, 2006.
"Estimates of government net capital stocks for 26 developing countries, 1970-2002,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3858, The World Bank.
- F. Arestoff & Christophe Hurlin, 2008. "Estimates of Government Net Capital Stocks for 26 Developing Countries, 1970-2002," Post-Print halshs-00257375, HAL.
- JosÈ M. Albala-Bertrand & Emmanuel C. Mamatzakis, 2004.
"The Impact of Public Infrastructure on the Productivity of the Chilean Economy,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 266-278, 05.
- Jose Miguel Albala-Bertrand & Emmanouel C. Mamatzakis, 2001. "The Impact of Public Infrastructure on the Productivity of the Chilean Economy," Working Papers 435, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Blanca Sanchez-Robles, 1998. "Infrastructure Investment And Growth: Some Empirical Evidence," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(1), pages 98-108, 01.
- Jose Miguel Albala-Bertrand, 2004. "Can the Composition of Capital Constrain Potential Output? A Gap Approach," Working Papers 510, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Clements, Benedict & Baldacci, Emanuele & Mulas-Granados, Carlos, 2005. "Fiscal policy, expenditure composition, and growth in low-income countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 441-463, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:10/175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.