Commodity Prices and Inflation in the Middle East, North Africa, and Central Asia
Inflation followed a strikingly uniform pattern in all countries of the Middle East, North Africa, and Central Asia during the period 1996-2009, falling until about 2000 and then rising. International fuel prices do not help explain this pattern. This conclusion is robust even when different cross sections of countries are tested or when different regression variables are included. The pattern of inflation is explained mainly by past inflation, the strength of the US dollar, US inflation, andâ€”depending on the subset of countries analyzedâ€”monetary and exchange rate policies and nonfuel commodity prices.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berger, Helge & Stavrev, Emil, 2008.
"The information content of money in forecasting Euro area inflation,"
2008/15, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Emil Stavrev & Helge Berger, 2012. "The information content of money in forecasting euro area inflation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(31), pages 4055-4072, November.
- Emil Stavrev & Helge Berger, 2008. "The Information Content of Money in Forecasting Euro Area Inflation," IMF Working Papers 08/166, International Monetary Fund.
- Laurence M. Ball, 2006. "Has Globalization Changed Inflation?," NBER Working Papers 12687, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Assaf Razin, 2004.
"Globalization and Disinflation: A Note,"
NBER Working Papers
10954, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leo Bonato, 2007.
"Money and Inflation in the Islamic Republic of Iran,"
IMF Working Papers
07/119, International Monetary Fund.
- Bonato Leo, 2008. "Money and Inflation in the Islamic Republic of Iran," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 41-58, January.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Yuen, Jude, 2002.
"Effects of U.S. Inflation on Hong Kong and Singapore,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 603-619, September.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Jude Yuen, 2001. "Effects of U.S. Inflation on Hong Kong and Singapore," Working Papers 032001, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Jude Yuen, 2002. "Effects of U.S. Inflation on Hong Kong and Singapore," CESifo Working Paper Series 700, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rania A. Al-Mashat & Andreas Billmeier, 2007.
"The Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Egypt,"
IMF Working Papers
07/285, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:10/135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.