Social Security Reforms in Colombia; Striking Demographic and Fiscal Balances
This paper analyzes the economic rationale for adopting parametric pension reforms and reforms broadening the coverage of public health care in Colombia during 1993-2008. Parametric pension reforms have focused on increasing the retirement age and moderating replacement rates. The health system reforms aimed at reaching universal coverage by 2012, while providing a more homogenous level of services. Our results indicate that the Net Present Value of the debt of the social security system in Colombia is roughly 160 percent of GDP for pensions and about 97 percent of GDP for the health system.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mauricio Cardenas & Raquel Bernal, 2003.
"Determinants of Labor Demand in Colombia: 1976-1996,"
NBER Working Papers
10077, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mauricio Cardenas & Raquel Bernal, 2004. "Determinants of Labor Demand in Colombia. 1976-1996," NBER Chapters, in: Law and Employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean, pages 229-272 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. Kugler, M. Kugler, 2008.
"Labour Market Effects of Payroll Taxes in Developing Countries: Evidence from Colombia,"
eg0056, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised 2008.
- Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2009. "Labor Market Effects of Payroll Taxes in Developing Countries: Evidence from Colombia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(2), pages 335-358, 01.
- Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2008. "Labor Market Effects of Payroll Taxes in Developing Countries: Evidence from Colombia," NBER Working Papers 13855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alain Jousten, 2007. "Public Pension Reform; A Primer," IMF Working Papers 07/28, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:09/58. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.