A Primeron Fiscal Analysis in Oil-Producing Countries
This paper proposes an integrated approach to fiscal policy analysis in oil producing countries (OPCs) geared towards addressing their unique and complex policy challenges. First, an accurate assessment of the fiscal stance in OPCs can be obscured by large and volatile oil revenue flows. Second, uncertain and volatile oil revenue flows can complicate the management of macroeconomic policies in these countries. Third, given the exhaustibility of oil reserves, OPCs need to address longer-term sustainability and intergenerational equity issues. The use of non-oil fiscal indicators, stress tests, medium-term frameworks, and permanent oil income models can greatly aid in addressing these challenges.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htmEmail:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua Aizenman & Nancy Marion, 1991.
"Policy Uncertainty, Persistence and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Collier, Paul & Goderis, Benedikt, 2008.
"Commodity Prices, Growth, and the Natural Resource Curse: Reconciling a Conundrum,"
17315, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Collier & Benedikt Goderis, 2007. "Commodity Prices, Growth, and the Natural Resource Curse: Reconciling a Conundrum," CSAE Working Paper Series 2007-15, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Paul Collier & Benedikt Goderis, 2007. "Commodity Prices, Growth, and the Natural Resource Curse: Reconciling a Conundrum," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2007-15, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Frederick van der Ploeg & Anthony J Venables, 2008.
"Harnessing Windfall Revenues in Developing Economies: Sovereign wealth funds and optimal tradeoffs between citizen dividends, public infrastructure and debt reduction,"
OxCarre Working Papers
009, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick & Venables, Anthony J, 2008. "Harnessing Windfall Revenues in Developing Economies: Sovereign Wealth Funds and Optimal Tradeoffs Between Citizen Dividends, Public Infrastructure and Debt Reduction," CEPR Discussion Papers 6954, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Qing Wang & Ugo Fasano-Filho, 2002. "Testing the Relationship Between Government Spending and Revenue; Evidence From GCC Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/201, International Monetary Fund.
- Nada Choueiri & Klaus-Stefan Enders & Yuri Vladimirovich Sobolev & Jan Walliser & Sherwyn Williams, 2002. "Yemen in the 1990s; From Unification to Economic Reform," IMF Occasional Papers 208, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Gavin, 1997. "A Decade of Reform in Latin America: Has it Delivered Lower Volatility?," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6429, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Michael Gavin, 1997. "A Decade of Reform in Latin America: Has it Delivered Lower Volatility?," Research Department Publications 4076, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- David Coady & Taimur Baig & Joseph Ntamatungiro & Amine Mati, 2007. "Domestic Petroleum Product Prices and Subsidies; Recent Developments and Reform Strategies," IMF Working Papers 07/71, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:09/56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.