From Lombard Street to Avenida Paulista; Foreign Exchange Liquidity Easing in Brazil in Response to the Global Shock of 2008â€“09
The provision of foreign exchange liquidity by emerging market central banks during the global shock of 2008-09 departs from the domestic liquidity lender of last resort role described by Bagehot in his classic "Lombard Street." This paper documents and analyzes the foreign exchange liquidity providing measures of the Banco Central do Brasil (BCB) in response to varied market stresses. These measures appear to have reduced the relative onshore cost of dollar liquidity on impact and seemed to stabilize market expectations of exchange rate volatility. The results suggest that foreign exchange liquidity easing operations may become a standard central bank tool.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2006.
"Monetary Policy Challenges in Emerging Markets: Sudden Stop, Liability Dollarization, and Lender of Last Resort,"
NBER Working Papers
12788, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2006. "Monetary Policy Challenges in Emerging Markets: Sudden Stop, Liability Dollarization, and Lender of Last Resort," Research Department Publications 4504, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2006. "Monetary Policy Challenges in Emerging Markets: Sudden Stop, Liability Dollarization, and Lender of Last Resort," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6841, Inter-American Development Bank.
- John Taylor & John Williams, 2008. "Further Results on a Black Swan in the Money Market," Discussion Papers 07-046, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Frederico Pechir Gomes & Marcelo Yoshio Takami & Vinicius Ratton Brandi, 2008. "Foreign Exchange Market Volatility Information: An Investigation of Real-Dollar Exchange Rate," Working Papers Series 174, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Bagehot, Walter, 1873. "Lombard Street: A Description of the Money Market," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number bagehot1873.
- Cho‐Hoi Hui & Hans Genberg & Tsz‐Kin Chung, 2011.
"Funding liquidity risk and deviations from interest‐rate parity during the financial crisis of 2007–2009,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 307-323, October.
- Cho-Hoi Hui & Hans Genberg & Tsz-Kin Chung, 2009. "Funding Liquidity Risk and Deviations from Interest-Rate Parity During the Financial Crisis of 2007-2009," Working Papers 0913, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Gabriele Galati & Piti Disyatat, 2005.
"The effectiveness of foreign exchange intervention in emerging market countries: evidence from the Czech koruna,"
BIS Working Papers
172, Bank for International Settlements.
- Disyatat, Piti & Galati, Gabriele, 2007. "The effectiveness of foreign exchange intervention in emerging market countries: Evidence from the Czech koruna," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 383-402, April.
- Jeff M. Rogers & Pierre Siklos, 2001.
"Foreign Exchange Market Intervention in Two Small Open Economies: The Canadian and Australian Experience,"
Research Paper Series
57, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Rogers, J. M. & Siklos, P. L., 2003. "Foreign exchange market intervention in two small open economies: the Canadian and Australian experience," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 393-416, June.
- Patrick McGuire & Goetz von Peter, 2009. "The US dollar shortage in global banking and the international policy response," BIS Working Papers 291, Bank for International Settlements.
- Sandro Canesso de Andrade & Benjamin Miranda Tabak, 2001. "Is it Worth Tracking Dollar/Real Implied Volatility?," Working Papers Series 15, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Mark R. Stone & Etienne B Yehoue & Kotaro Ishi, 2009. "Unconventional Central Bank Measures for Emerging Economies," IMF Working Papers 09/226, .
- Matías Tapia & Andrea Tokman, 2004.
"Effects of Foreign Exchange Intervention under Public Information: The Chilean Case,"
ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION,
ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 215-256, January.
- Matías Tapia & Andrea Tokman, 2004. "Effects of Foreign Exchange Intervention Under Public Information: the Chilean Case," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 255, Central Bank of Chile.
- Seth B. Carpenter & Selva Demiralp, 2004.
"The liquidity effect in the federal funds market: evidence from daily open market operations,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2004-61, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carpenter, Seth & Demiralp, Selva, 2006. "The Liquidity Effect in the Federal Funds Market: Evidence from Daily Open Market Operations," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(4), pages 901-920, June.
- Fernando N. de Oliveira & Walter Novaes, 2005. "The Market of Foreign Exchange Hedge in Brazil: Reactions of Financial Institutions to Interventions of the Central Bank," IBMEC RJ Economics Discussion Papers 2005-13, Economics Research Group, IBMEC Business School - Rio de Janeiro.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- corrinne ho & robert n mccauley, 2004. "Living with flexible exchange rates:," International Finance 0411003, EconWPA.
- Stanley Fischer, 1999. "On the Need for an International Lender of Last Resort," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 85-104, Fall.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001.
"Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective, and, If So, How Does It Work?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2690, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark P. Taylor & Lucio Sarno, 2001. "Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective and, If So, How Does It Work?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(3), pages 839-868, September.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Jay C. Shambaugh & Alan M. Taylor, 2009.
"Financial Instability, Reserves, and Central Bank Swap Lines in the Panic of 2008,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 480-486, May.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Jay C. Shambaugh & Alan M. Taylor, 2009. "Financial Instability, Reserves, and Central Bank Swap Lines in the Panic of 2008," NBER Working Papers 14826, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ilker Domac & Alfonso Mendoza, 2002. "Is there Room for Forex Interventions under Inflation Targeting Framework? Evidence from Mexico and Turkey," Discussion Papers 0206, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Anna Nordstrom & Scott Roger & Mark R. Stone & Seiichi Shimizu & Turgut Kisinbay & Jorge Restrepo, 2009. "The Role of the Exchange Rate in Inflation-Targeting Emerging Economies; Targeting Emerging Economies," IMF Occasional Papers 267, International Monetary Fund.
- Fernando N. Oliveira, 2014. "The Market of Foreign Exchange Hedge in Brazil: Reaction of Financial Institutions to Interventions of the Central Bank," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 34(1), pages 174-187.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:09/259. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.