How to Stop a Herd of Running Bears? Market Response to Policy Initiatives during the Global Financial Crisis
This paper examines the impact of macroeconomic and financial sector policy announcements in the United States, the United Kingdom, the euro area, and Japan during the recent crisis on interbank credit and liquidity risk premia. Announcements of interest rate cuts, liquidity support, liability guarantees, and recapitalization were associated with a reduction of interbank risk premia, albeit to a different degree during the subprime and global phases of the crisis. Decisions not to reduce interest rates and bail out individual banks in an ad hoc manner had adverse repercussions, both domestically and abroad. The results are robust to controlling for the surprise content of announcements and using alternative measures of financial distress.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-1617, December.
- Celso Brunetti & Mario di Filippo & Jeffrey H. Harris, 2011. "Effects of Central Bank Intervention on the Interbank Market During the Subprime Crisis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 2053-2083.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2003.
"What explains the stock market's reaction to Federal Reserve policy?,"
174, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2005. "What Explains the Stock Market's Reaction to Federal Reserve Policy?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1221-1257, 06.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2003. "What explains the stock market's reaction to Federal Reserve policy?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2004. "What explains the stock market's reaction to Federal Reserve policy?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-16, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2004. "What Explains the Stock Market's Reaction to Federal Reserve Policy?," NBER Working Papers 10402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Furfine, Craig, 2002. "The interbank market during a crisis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(4-5), pages 809-820, May.
- Jensen, Michael C., 1978. "Some anomalous evidence regarding market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2-3), pages 95-101.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2009.
"An assessment of financial sector rescue programmes,"
Bank for International Settlements, number 48.
- Fabio Panetta & Thomas Faeh & Giuseppe Grande & Corrinne Ho & Michael King & Aviram Levy & Federico M. Signoretti & Marco Taboga & Andrea Zaghini, 2009. "An assessment of financial sector rescue programmes," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 47, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2009.
"Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk,"
Working Paper Series
1126, European Central Bank.
- Heider, F. & Hoerova, M. & Holthausen, C., 2009. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads : The Role of Counterparty Risk," Discussion Paper 2009-40 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2010. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 7762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marie Hoerova & Cornelia Holthausen & Florian Heider, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," 2009 Meeting Papers 929, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil K, 2010.
"Will the U.S. bank recapitalization succeed? Eight lessons from Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 398-417, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K Kashyap, 2008. "Will the U.S. Bank Recapitalization Succeed? Eight Lessons from Japan," NBER Working Papers 14401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corrado, Charles J. & Zivney, Terry L., 1992. "The Specification and Power of the Sign Test in Event Study Hypothesis Tests Using Daily Stock Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 465-478, September.
- Mikkelson, Wayne H. & Partch, M. Megan, 1986. "Valuation effects of security offerings and the issuance process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 31-60.
- François-Louis Michaud & Christian Upper, 2008. "What drives interbank rates? Evidence from the Libor panel," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, pages -, March.
- Jens H. E. Christensen, 2009. "Have the Fed liquidity facilities had an effect on Libor?," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue aug10.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009.
"The Second Great Contraction,"
21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates," Introductory Chapters, in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press.
- Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane, 2009. "Financial Crises: Past Lessons and Policy Implications," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 668, OECD Publishing.
- Guo, Lin & Mech, Timothy S., 2000. "Conditional event studies, anticipation, and asymmetric information: the case of seasoned equity issues and pre-issue information releases," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 113-141, August.
- International Monetary Fund, 2009. "Macroeconomic Fundamentals, Price Discovery and Volatility Dynamics in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 09/147, International Monetary Fund.
- McAndrews, James J. & Sarkar, Asani & Wang, Zhenyu, 2008. "The effect of the Term Auction Facility on the London inter-bank offered rate," Staff Reports 335, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, revised 01 Sep 2015.
- Heiko Hesse & Nathaniel Frank, 2009. "The Effectiveness of Central Bank Interventions During the First Phase of the Subprime Crisis," IMF Working Papers 09/206, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:09/204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.