How to Stop a Herd of Running Bears? Market Response to Policy Initiatives During the Global Financial Crisis
This paper examines the impact of macroeconomic and financial sector policy announcements in the United States, the United Kingdom, the euro area, and Japan during the recent crisis on interbank credit and liquidity risk premia. Announcements of interest rate cuts, liquidity support, liability guarantees, and recapitalization were associated with a reduction of interbank risk premia, albeit to a different degree during the subprime and global phases of the crisis. Decisions not to reduce interest rates and bail out individual banks in an ad hoc manner had adverse repercussions, both domestically and abroad. The results are robust to controlling for the surprise content of announcements and using alternative measures of financial distress.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James McAndrews & Asani Sarkar & Zhenyu Wang, 2008. "The effect of the Term Auction Facility on the London Inter-Bank Offered Rate," Staff Reports 335, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2009.
"Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk,"
Working Paper Series
1126, European Central Bank.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2010. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 7762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heider, F. & Hoerova, M. & Holthausen, C., 2009. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads : The Role of Counterparty Risk," Discussion Paper 2009-40 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Marie Hoerova & Cornelia Holthausen & Florian Heider, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," 2009 Meeting Papers 929, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2005.
"What Explains the Stock Market's Reaction to Federal Reserve Policy?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1221-1257, 06.
- Ben Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2003. "What explains the stock market's reaction to Federal Reserve policy?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2004. "What Explains the Stock Market's Reaction to Federal Reserve Policy?," NBER Working Papers 10402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2003. "What explains the stock market's reaction to Federal Reserve policy?," Staff Reports 174, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2004. "What explains the stock market's reaction to Federal Reserve policy?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-16, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Celso Brunetti & Mario di Filippo & Jeffrey H. Harris, 2011. "Effects of Central Bank Intervention on the Interbank Market During the Subprime Crisis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 2053-2083.
- Mikkelson, Wayne H. & Partch, M. Megan, 1986. "Valuation effects of security offerings and the issuance process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 31-60.
- Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane, 2009. "Financial Crises: Past Lessons and Policy Implications," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 668, OECD Publishing.
- Selva Demiralp & Erhan Artuc, 2009.
"Provision of Liquidity through the Primary Credit Facility during the Financial Crisis: A Structural Analysis,"
2009 Meeting Papers
215, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Erhan Artuç & Selva Demiralp, 2010. "Provision of liquidity through the primary credit facility during the financial crisis: a structural analysis," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Aug, pages 43-53.
- Erhan Artuç & Selva Demiralp, 2009. "Provision of Liquidity through the Primary Credit Facility during the Financial Crisis: A Structural Analysis," Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 0912, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil K, 2010.
"Will the U.S. bank recapitalization succeed? Eight lessons from Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 398-417, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K Kashyap, 2008. "Will the U.S. Bank Recapitalization Succeed? Eight Lessons from Japan," NBER Working Papers 14401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guo, Lin & Mech, Timothy S., 2000. "Conditional event studies, anticipation, and asymmetric information: the case of seasoned equity issues and pre-issue information releases," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 113-141, August.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- Furfine, Craig, 2002. "The interbank market during a crisis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(4-5), pages 809-820, May.
- Heiko Hesse & Nathaniel Frank, 2009. "The Effectiveness of Central Bank Interventions During the First Phase of the Subprime Crisis," IMF Working Papers 09/206, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2009. "Macroeconomic Fundamentals, Price Discovery and Volatility Dynamics in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 09/147, International Monetary Fund.
- Corrado, Charles J. & Zivney, Terry L., 1992. "The Specification and Power of the Sign Test in Event Study Hypothesis Tests Using Daily Stock Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 465-478, September.
- Fabio Panetta & Thomas Faeh & Giuseppe Grande & Corrinne Ho & Michael King & Aviram Levy & Federico M. Signoretti & Marco Taboga & Andrea Zaghini, 2009.
"An assessment of financial sector rescue programmes,"
Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers)
47, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2009. "An assessment of financial sector rescue programmes," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 48, March.
- François-Louis Michaud & Christian Upper, 2008. "What drives interbank rates? Evidence from the Libor panel," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Jensen, Michael C., 1978. "Some anomalous evidence regarding market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2-3), pages 95-101.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Jens Christensen, 2009. "Have the Fed liquidity facilities had an effect on Libor?," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue aug10.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:09/204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.