Modernizing Bank Regulation in Support of Financial Deepening; The Case of Uruguay
This paper studies how Uruguay's regulatory framework was gradually strengthened to address shortcomings identified during the 2002-03 crisis, to align with international standards and, more recently, to deal with cyclical pressures resulting in an acceleration of bank lending. In particular, regulatory reforms pertaining to loan classification and provisioning as well as liquidity requirements are reviewed and evaluated against best practices. The paper concludes that prudential regulation in Uruguay now generally conforms to high standards while also embracing innovative elements such as dynamic provisioning.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adolfo Barajas & Ralph Chami & Thomas Cosimano, 2004.
"Did the Basel Accord Cause a Credit Slowdown in Latin America?,"
JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Thomas F. Cosimano & Ralph Chami & Adolfo Barajas, 2005. "Did the Basel Accord Cause a Credit Slowdown in Latin America?," IMF Working Papers 05/38, International Monetary Fund.
- Koh, Winston T.H. & Mariano, Roberto S. & Pavlov, Andrey & Phang, Sock Yong & Tan, Augustine H.H. & Wachter, Susan M., 2005. "Bank lending and real estate in Asia: market optimism and asset bubbles," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1103-1118, January.
- Antonio Garcia Pascual & Jorge Cayazzo & Socorro Heysen & Eva Gutierrez, 2006. "Toward An Effective Supervision of Partially Dollarized Banking Systems," IMF Working Papers 06/32, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2000. "Loan Review, Provisioning, and Macroeconomic Linkages," IMF Working Papers 00/195, International Monetary Fund.
- Joe Crowley, 2008. "Credit Growth in the Middle East, North Africa, and Central Asia Region," IMF Working Papers 08/184, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:09/199. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.