The Declining Importance of Tradable Goods Manufacturing in Australia and New Zealand; How Much Can Growth Theory Explain?
In this paper, the IMF's new Global Economy Model (GEM) is used to estimate the contribution of unbalanced growth to the decline in the share of goods production in Australia and New Zealand. The simulation results suggest that faster productivity growth in the tradable goods sector in Australia, New Zealand, and their major trading partners accounts for a significant portion of the relative decline in the importance of goods production. Over the 1995 to 2004 period, unbalanced growth explains more than 80 percent of the decline in goods production in both countries.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Falvey, Rodney E & Gemmell, Norman, 1996. "Are Services Income-Elastic? Some New Evidence," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(3), pages 257-269, September.
- Robert Rowthorn & Ken Coutts, 2004.
"De-Industrialization And The Blance Of Payments In Advanced Economies,"
UNCTAD Discussion Papers
170, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Robert Rowthorn & Ken Coutts, 2004. "De-industrialisation and the balance of payments in advanced economies," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(5), pages 767-790, September.
- Ronald Schettkat, 2007. "The Astonishing Regularity Of Service Employment Expansion," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 413-435, 07.
- Benjamin L Hunt, 2007. "U.K. Inflation and Relative Prices over the Last Decade; How Important was Globalization?," IMF Working Papers 07/208, .
- Rene Lalonde & Dirk Muir, 2007. "The Bank of Canada's Version of the Global Economy Model (BoC-GEM)," Technical Reports 98, Bank of Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:09/16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.