Regional Financial Integration in the Caribbean; Evidence From Financial and Macroeconomic Data
This paper assesses the extent of regional financial integration in the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) by analyzing equity prices in the region and rigidity of external financing constraints. The results are presented in a cross-regional perspective. The Caribbean stock markets are not as well integrated as one would expect from the extent of cross-listing and importance of regional banking groups: price differentials of cross-listed stocks reach an average of 5 percent. Auto-Regressive models suggest that these price differentials are only slowly arbitraged away, with half-lives exceeding 7 worked days, even when looking only at large arbitrage opportunities (using a Threshold Auto-Regressive model). A speculative methodology using macroeconomic data seems to confirm these findings. A strong mean reversion of the current account (respectively regional trade imbalances) is interpreted, following Obstfeld and Taylor (2004), as a lack of ways to finance current account deficits, i.e. a lack of global (respectively regional) financial integration. The region appears to be much less integrated than the EU15 or the ASEAN+3 groups, although it fares well compared to other LDCs.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & Spiegel, Mark M., 1996.
"North-South customs unions and international capital mobility,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1573, The World Bank.
- Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & Spiegel, Mark M., 1998. "North-South customs unions and international capital mobility," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 229-251, December.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Mark M. Spiegel, 1997. "North-South Customs Unions and International Capital Mobility," Research Department Publications 4060, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Mark M. Spiegel, 1997. "North-South Customs Unions and International Capital Mobility," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6424, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Paul Cashin & Manmohan S. Kumar & C. John McDermott, 1995. "International Integration of Equity Markets and Contagion Effects," IMF Working Papers 95/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Taylor, Alan M., 2002.
"A century of current account dynamics,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 725-748, November.
- P. B. Solibakke, 2001. "Efficiently ARMA-GARCH estimated trading volume characteristics in thinly traded markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 539-556.
- Chen, Gong-meng & Firth, Michael & Meng Rui, Oliver, 2002. "Stock market linkages: Evidence from Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1113-1141, June.
- Trehan, Bharat & Walsh, Carl E, 1991.
"Testing Intertemporal Budget Constraints: Theory and Applications to U.S. Federal Budget and Current Account Deficits,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 206-23, May.
- Bharat Trehan & Carl E. Walsh, 1988. "Testing intertemporal budget constraints: theory and applications to U. S. federal budget and current account deficits," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 88-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- MÃ¡rcio ValÃ©rio Ronci, 2004. "Trade Finance and Trade Flows; Panel Data Evidence From 10 Crises," IMF Working Papers 04/225, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Cashin & Antonio Lemus, 2012. "The Eastern Caribbean Currency Union; Would a Fiscal Insurance Mechanism Mitigate National Income Shocks?," IMF Working Papers 12/17, International Monetary Fund.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992.
"Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995. "Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Kevin Lee & M. Hashem Pesaran & Ron Smith, 1996.
"Growth and Convergence in a Multi-Country Empirical Stochastic Solow Model,"
9637, Economic Research Forum, revised Dec 1996.
- Lee, Kevin & Pesaran, M Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1997. "Growth and Convergence in Multi-country Empirical Stochastic Solow Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(4), pages 357-92, July-Aug..
- Kevin Lee & M. Hashem Pesaran & Ron Smith, . "Growth and Convergence in a Multi-County empirical Stochastic Solow Model," Discussion Papers in Economics 96/14, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2004.
"A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default, and Credit,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(s1), pages 50-63, June.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002. "A gravity model of sovereign lending: trade, default and credit," Working Paper Series 2002-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002. "A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default and Credit," NBER Working Papers 9285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Rayhorn & M. Kabir Hassan & Jung-Suk Yu & Kenneth R. Janson, 2007. "Emerging Market Efficiencies: New Zealand's Maturation Experience in the Presence of Non-Linearity, Thin Trading and Asymmetric Information," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 7(1-2), pages 21-34.
- Soyoung Kim & Jong-Wha Lee & Kwanho Shin, 2006.
"Regional and Global Financial Integration in East Asia,"
Discussion Paper Series
0602, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Kim, Soyoung & Lee, Jong-Wha & Shin, Kwanho, 2006. "Regional and Global Financial Integration in East Asia," MPRA Paper 695, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabian Bornhorst & Christopher F Baum, 2001. "LEVINLIN: Stata module to perform Levin-Lin-Chu panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components S419702, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 24 Sep 2006.
- Paul Cashin & Montfort Mlachila & Cleary Haines, 2010.
"Caribbean Bananas; The Macroeconomic Impact of Trade Preference Erosion,"
IMF Working Papers
10/59, International Monetary Fund.
- Montfort Mlachila & Paul Cashin & Cleary Haines, 2013. "Caribbean bananas: The macroeconomic impact of trade preference erosion," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 253-280, March.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bayoumi, Tamim A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1993. "Domestic savings and intra-national capital flows," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1197-1202, August.
- Leslie Teo & David Cowen & Hemant Shah & Ranil Salgado & Alessandro Zanello, 2006. "Financial Integration in Asia; Recent Developments and Next Steps," IMF Working Papers 06/196, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark P. Taylor, 1995. "The Economics of Exchange Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 13-47, March.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Sergio Luis Schmukler & Neeltje Van Horen, 2006.
"International Financial Integration through the Law of One Price,"
Business School Working Papers
2006-01, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Levy Yeyati, Eduardo & Schmukler, Sergio L. & Van Horen, Neeltje, 2006. "International financial integration through the law of one price," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3897, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:09/139. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.