Canadian Residential Mortgage Markets; Boring But Effective?
Klyuev (2008) concluded that the Canadian market for housing finance is highly advanced and sophisticated, but financing options were somewhat limited, particularly at terms longer than five years. This paper argues that the paucity of longer-term loans is caused by a five-year maturity cap on government-guaranteed deposit insurance, and a prepayment penalty limit on residential mortgage loans in the Interest Act. That said, the availability and cost of residential loans for prime borrowers are comparable to those in the United States.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harris, Richard & Ragonetti, Doris, 1998. "Where Credit is Due: Residential Mortgage Finance in Canada, 1901 to 1954," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 223-38, March.
- Paul S. Mills & John Kiff, 2007. "Money for Nothing and Checks for Free; Recent Developments in U.S. Subprime Mortgage Markets," IMF Working Papers 07/188, International Monetary Fund.
- Freedman, C., 1998. "The Canadian Banking System," Technical Reports 81, Bank of Canada.
- Keith P. Sharp, 1986. "Mortgage Rate Insurance in Canada," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 12(3), pages 432-437, September.
- Karen M. Pence, 2006. "Foreclosing on Opportunity: State Laws and Mortgage Credit," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(1), pages 177-182, February.
- Vladimir Klyuev, 2008. "Show Me the Money; Access to Finance for Small Borrowers in Canada," IMF Working Papers 08/22, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:09/130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.