External Debt Sustainability in HIPC Completion Point Countries; An Update
Despite substantial debt relief to HIPC Initiative completion point countries, long-term debt sustainability remains a challenge. This paper examines a number of structural factors affecting external debt sustainability. It shows that in HIPC completion point countries (i) the export base broadly remains narrow; (ii) fiscal revenue mobilization lags behind in some countries; and (iii) policy and institutional frameworks are still relatively weak. Achieving and maintaining longterm debt sustainability in completion point countries will require continued structural reforms, timely donor support, and close monitoring of new non-concessional borrowing.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Serkan Arslanalp & Peter Blair Henry, 2005.
"Is Debt Relief Efficient?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 1017-1051, 04.
- Doris C Ross & Lisandro Abrego, 2001. "Debt Relief Under the HIPC Initiative; Context and Outlook for Debt Sustainability and Resource Flow," IMF Working Papers 01/144, International Monetary Fund.
- Helene Poirson Ward & Luca A Ricci & Catherine A Pattillo, 2002.
"External Debt and Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
02/69, International Monetary Fund.
- Yan Sun, 2004. "External Debt Sustainability in HIPC Completion Point Countries," IMF Working Papers 04/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Ratna Sahay & Luis Felipe CÃ©spedes & Paul Cashin, 2002. "Keynes, Cocoa, and Copper; In Search of Commodity Currencies," IMF Working Papers 02/223, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert Powell, 2003. "Debt Relief, Additionality, and Aid Allocation in Low Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 03/175, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:09/128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.