Financial Spillovers to Emerging Markets During the Global Financial Crisis
In this paper potential financial linkages between liquidity and bank solvency measures in advanced economies and emerging market (EM) bond and stock markets are analyzedduring the latest crisis. A multivariate GARCH model is estimated in order to gauge the extent of co-movements of these financial variables across markets. The findings indicate that the notion of possible de-coupling (in the financial markets) had been misplaced. While EM stock markets reached their peak in the last quarter of 2007, interlinkages between funding stress and equity markets in advanced economies and EM financial indicators were highly correlated and have seen sharp increases during specific crisis moments.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heiko Hesse & Nathaniel Frank & Brenda GonzÃ¡lez-Hermosillo, 2008. "Transmission of Liquidity Shocks: Evidence from the 2007 Subprime Crisis," IMF Working Papers 08/200, International Monetary Fund.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Luc Laeven & Deniz Igan, 2008.
"Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence From the Subprime Mortgage Market,"
IMF Working Papers
08/106, International Monetary Fund.
- Giovanni Dell’Ariccia & Deniz Igan & Luc Laeven, 2012. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44, pages 367-384, 03.
- Dell’Ariccia, G. & Igan, D. & Laeven, L., 2009. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards : Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," Discussion Paper 2009-46 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- DellAriccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Laeven, Luc, 2008. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence From The Subprime Mortgage Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 6683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- King, Mervyn A & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1990.
"Transmission of Volatility between Stock Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 5-33.
- John Beirne & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & Nicola Spagnolo, 2013.
"Volatility Spillovers and Contagion from Mature to Emerging Stock Markets,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(5), pages 1060-1075, November.
- John Beirne & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & Nicola Spagnolo, 2009. "Volatility Spillovers and Contagion from Mature to Emerging Stock Markets," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 873, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- John Beirne & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & Nicola Spagnolo, 2009. "Volatility Spillovers and Contagion from Mature to Emerging Stock Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2545, CESifo Group Munich.
- Beirne, John & Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Schulze-Ghattas, Marianne & Spagnolo, Nicola, 2009. "Volatility spillovers and contagion from mature to emerging stock markets," Working Paper Series 1113, European Central Bank.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & John Beirne & Nicola Spagnolo, 2008. "Volatility Spillovers and Contagion from Mature to Emerging Stock Markets," IMF Working Papers 08/286, International Monetary Fund.
- Marcello Pericoli & Massimo Sbracia, 2001.
"A Primer on Financial Contagion,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
407, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Coudert, Virginie & Gex, Mathieu, 2008.
"Does risk aversion drive financial crises? Testing the predictive power of empirical indicators,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 167-184, March.
- V. Coudert & M. Gex, 2008. "Does risk aversion drive financial crises? Testing the predictive power of empirical indicators," Post-Print halshs-00321667, HAL.
- Virginie Coudert & Mathieu Gex, 2007. "Does Risk Aversion Drive Financial Crises? Testing the Predictive Power of Empirical Indicators," Working Papers 2007-02, CEPII research center.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003.
"Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns,"
Working Paper Series
0204, European Central Bank.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006. "Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2008.
"The center and the periphery: The globalization of financial turmoil,"
14100, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen Reinhart, 2003. "The Center and the Periphery: The Globalization of Financial Turmoil," NBER Working Papers 9479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dungey, Mardi & Fry, Renee & Gonzalez-Hermosillo, Brenda & Martin, Vance, 2006. "Contagion in international bond markets during the Russian and the LTCM crises," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-27, April.
- Mervyn King & Enrique Sentana & Sushil Wadhwani, 1990.
"Volatiltiy and Links Between National Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Mervyn & Sentana, Enrique & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1994. "Volatility and Links between National Stock Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 901-33, July.
- Laura E. Kodres & Matthew Pritsker, 2002. "A Rational Expectations Model of Financial Contagion," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(2), pages 769-799, 04.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 2003.
"Market Integration and Contagion,"
NBER Working Papers
9510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:09/104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.