Inflation Determinants in Paraguay; Cost Push versus Demand Pull Factors
This article uses two analytical methodologies to understand the dynamics of inflation in Paraguay, the mark-up theory of inflation and the monetary theory of inflation. We also study the impact of different monetary aggregates. The results suggest that monetary factors, in particular currency in circulation, play a major role in determining long-run inflation, while foreign prices, in particular from Brazil, or some food products have a large impact on the short-term dynamics of inflation. Wage indexation may also contribute to locking up price increases.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Brouwer, Gordon & Ericsson, Neil R, 1998.
"Modeling Inflation in Australia,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(4), pages 433-449, October.
- Gordon De Brouwer & Neil R. Ericsson, 1995. "Modelling inflation in Australia," International Finance Discussion Papers 530, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gordon de Brouwer & Neil R. Ericsson, 1995. "Modelling Inflation in Australia," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp9510, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Armine Khachatryan & David A. Grigorian & Grigor Sargsyan, 2004. "Exchange Rate, Money, and Wages; What is Driving Prices in Armenia?," IMF Working Papers 04/229, International Monetary Fund.
- Bogdan Lissovolik, 2003. "Determinants of Inflation in a Transition Economy; The Case of Ukraine," IMF Working Papers 03/126, International Monetary Fund.
- Franziska L Ohnsorge & Nienke Oomes, 2005.
"Money Demand and Inflation in Dollarized Economies; The Case of Russia,"
IMF Working Papers
05/144, International Monetary Fund.
- Oomes, Nienke & Ohnsorge, Franziska, 2005. "Money demand and inflation in dollarized economies: The case of Russia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 462-483, September.
- Mick Silver, 2006. "Core Inflation Measures and Statistical Issues in Choosing Among Them," IMF Working Papers 06/97, International Monetary Fund.
- Toshitaka Sekine, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Inflation in Japan," IMF Working Papers 01/82, International Monetary Fund.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1996.
"Measuring Short-Run Inflation for Central Bankers,"
NBER Working Papers
5786, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos Robalo Marques & Pedro Duarte Neves & Luís Morais Sarmento, 2000.
"Evaluating Core Inflation Indicators,"
w200003, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Robalo Marques, Carlos & Duarte Neves, Pedro & Morais Sarmento, Luis, 2003. "Evaluating core inflation indicators," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 765-775, July.
- Pedro Duarte Neves & Luís Morais Sarmento & Carlos Robalo Marques, 1999. "Evaluating core inflation indicators," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:08/270. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.