A New Database of Financial Reforms
This paper introduces a new database of financial reforms, covering 91 economies over 1973–2005. It describes the content of the database, the information sources utilized, and the coding rules used to create an index of financial reform. It also compares the database with other measures of financial liberalization, provides descriptive statistics, and discusses some possible applications. The database provides a multi-faceted measure of reform, covering seven aspects of financial sector policy. Along each dimension the database provides a graded (rather than a binary) score, and allows for reversals.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takatoshi Ito & Anne O. Krueger, 2000. "Deregulation and Interdependence in the Asia-Pacific Region, NBER-EASE Volume 8," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ito_00-1, September.
- John Hawkins & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2001. "The banking industry in the emerging market economies: competition, consolidation and systemic stability: an overview," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The banking industry in the emerging market economies: competition, consolidation and systemic stability, volume 4, pages 1-44 Bank for International Settlements.
- Alicia García-Herrero & Sergio Gavilá & Daniel Santabárbara, 2006.
"China's Banking Reform: An Assessment of its Evolution and Possible Impact,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 52(2), pages 304-363, June.
- Alicia García-Herrero & Sergio Gavilá & Daniel Santabárbara, 2005. "China's banking reform: An assessment of its evolution and possible impact," Occasional Papers 0502, Banco de España;Occasional Papers Homepage.
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Sergio Gavila & Daniel Santabarbara, 2005. "China’s banking reform: An assessment of its evolution and possible impact," Finance 0508010, EconWPA.
- Eduardo Lora, 1997. "A Decade of Structural Reform in Latin America: What Has Been Reformed and How to Measure It," Research Department Publications 4074, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Lora, 1997. "A Decade of Structural Reforms in Latin America: What Has Been Reformed and How to Measure It," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6428, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oriana Bandiera & Gerard Caprio & Patrick Honohan & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2000. "Does Financial Reform Raise or Reduce Saving?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 239-263, May.
- Oriana Bandiera & Gerard Caprio Jr. & Patrick Honohan & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1998. "Does Financial Reform Raise or Reduce Savings?," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 413, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Marc Quintyn & Michael W. Taylor, 2003. "Regulatory and Supervisory Independence and Financial Stability," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 49(2), pages 259-294.
- Michael W Taylor & Marc G Quintyn, 2002. "Regulatory and Supervisory Independence and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 02/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert J. Corker & Wanda S Tseng, 1991. "Financial Liberalization, Money Demand, and Monetary Policy in Asian Countries," IMF Occasional Papers 84, International Monetary Fund.
- Takatoshi Ito & Anne O. Krueger, 2000. "Introduction to "Deregulation and Interdependence in the Asia-Pacific Region"," NBER Chapters,in: Deregulation and Interdependence in the Asia-Pacific Region, NBER-EASE Volume 8, pages 1-11 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stallings, Barbara & Studart, Rogerio, 2002. "Financial Regulation and Supervision in Emerging Markets. The Experience of Latin America since the Tequila Crisis," WIDER Working Paper Series 045, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Akira Ariyoshi & Andrei A Kirilenko & Inci Ötker & Bernard J Laurens & Jorge I Canales Kriljenko & Karl F Habermeier, 2000. "Capital Controls; Country Experiences with Their Use and Liberalization," IMF Occasional Papers 190, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:08/266. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.