Macroeconomics of Migration in New Member States
This paper examines the macroeconomic impact of migration on income convergence in the EU's New Member States (NMS). The paper focuses on cross-border mobility of labor and examines the implications for policymakers with the help of a general equilibrium model. It finds that cross-border labor mobility provides ample benefits in terms of faster and smoother convergence. Challenges, however, include containing wage pressures and better mobilizing and utilizing resident labor that does not cross borders.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rudolfs Bems, 2008.
"Aggregate Investment Expenditures on Tradable and Nontradable Goods,"
IMF Working Papers
08/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Rudolfs Bems, 2008. "Aggregate Investment Expenditures on Tradable and Nontradable Goods," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(4), pages 852-883, October.
- Bems, Rudolfs & Jönsson, Kristian, 2005.
"Trade Deficits in the Baltic States: How Long Will the Party Last?,"
Working Paper Series
186, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Rudolfs Bems & Kristian Jönsson Hartelius, 2006. "Trade Deficits in the Baltic States: How Long Will the Party Last?," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 9(1), pages 179-209, January.
- Bems, Rudolfs & Jönsson Hartelius, Kristian, 2003. "Trade Deficits in the Baltic States: How Long Will the Party Last?," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0543, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 05 Aug 2003.
- Philip Schellekens & Rudolfs Bems, 2007. "Finance and Convergence; Whatâ€™s Ahead for Emerging Europe?," IMF Working Papers 07/244, International Monetary Fund.
- Josef Schreiner, 2008. "Labor Markets in Central, Eastern and Southeastern European EU Member States: General Trends and Migration Effects," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 82-99.
- Katarzyna Budnik, 2007. "Migration Flows and Labour Market in Poland," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 44, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- de Cordoba, Gonzalo Fernandez & Kehoe, Timothy J., 2000. "Capital flows and real exchange rate fluctuations following Spain's entry into the European Community," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 49-78, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:08/264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.