Wage-Price Setting in New EU Member States
This paper analyzes wage- and price-setting relations in new EU member countries. Panel estimates indicate a strong and significant relationship between real wages and labor productivity, as well as evidence of wage pass-through to inflation. Terms of trade shocks do not feed through to real wages. Country-specific wage developments, beyond differences in labor productivity growth, are mostly explained by real wage catch-up from different initial levels and different labor market conditions. Qualitative evidence also suggests that public sector wage demonstration effects and institutional factors may play a role in wage determination.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htmEmail:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence Katz, 1999.
"Wage Dynamics: Reconciling Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
6924, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Bosworth & George L. Perry, 1994. "Productivity and Real Wages: Is There a Puzzle?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(1), pages 317-343.
- Ian Babetskii, 2007.
"Aggregate Wage Flexibility in Selected New EU Member States,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1916, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ian Babetskii, 2006. "Aggregate Wage Flexibility in Selected New EU Member States," Working Papers 2006/1, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Feldstein, Martin, 2008. "Did Wages Reflect Growth in Productivity?," Scholarly Articles 2794832, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1986.
"The Wage Price Spiral,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 101(3), pages 543-65, August.
- Feldstein, Martin, 2008.
"Did wages reflect growth in productivity?,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 591-594.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:08/243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.