Central Bank Financial Strength and Policy Performance; An Econometric Evaluation
The financial health of central banks and its relation to policy outcomes has recently been recognized as an important policy issue. While case study evidence clearly indicates that weak central bank finances can hamper effective policy implementation, the question of whether central bank financial strength influences policy performance remains controversial. This is due, in part, to a lack of econometric evidence. The paper presents a first step toward filling this gap, by providing a quantitative evaluation of the relationship between measures of central bank financial strength and policy performance, in particular inflation. The paper's major finding is that there indeed is a negative relationship between central bank financial strength and inflation outcomes. This relationship appears to be robust to the choice of alternative country samples, control variables, estimation strategies, and conceptualizations of central bank financial strength.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfaro, Laura, 2005. "Inflation, openness, and exchange-rate regimes: The quest for short-term commitment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 229-249, June.
- Alain Ize, 2005.
"Capitalizing Central Banks: A Net Worth Approach,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(2), pages 289-310, September.
- Frisell, Lars & Roszbach, Kasper F. & Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 2008.
"Governing the Governors: A Clinical Study of Central Banks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frisell, Lars & Roszbach, Kasper & spagnolo, giancarlo, 2008. "Governing the Governors: A Clinical Study of Central Banks," Working Paper Series 221, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Marta Campillo & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1996.
"Why Does Inflation Differ Across Countries?,"
NBER Working Papers
5540, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adam S. Posen, 1995. "Declarations Are Not Enough: Financial Sector Sources of Central Bank Independence," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1995, Volume 10, pages 253-274 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claudia H Dziobek & John W. Dalton, 2005. "Central Bank Losses and Experiences in Selected Countries," IMF Working Papers 05/72, International Monetary Fund.
- Fry, Maxwell J, 1998. "Assessing Central Bank Independence in Developing Countries: Do Actions Speak Louder Than Words?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(3), pages 512-529, July.
- repec:dgr:rugccs:200101 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter Stella & Åke Lonnberg, 2008. "Issues in central bank finance and independence," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2008-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- David Romer, 1991.
"Openness and inflation: theory and evidence,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Markiewicz, Malgorzata, 2001. "Quasi-fiscal operations of central banks in transition economies," BOFIT Discussion Papers 2/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Luis Jácome & Francisco Vázquez, 2005.
"Any Link Between Legal Central Bank Independence and Inflation? Evidence from Latin America and the Caribbean,"
- Luis Ignacio JÃ¡come & Francisco F. Vazquez, 2005. "Any Link Between Legal Central Bank Independence and Inflation? Evidence from Latin America and the Caribbean," IMF Working Papers 05/75, International Monetary Fund.
- Maxwell J. Fry, 1993. "The Fiscal Abuse of Central Banks," IMF Working Papers 93/58, International Monetary Fund.
- Ã…ke LÃ¶nnberg & Peter Stella, 2008. "Issues in Central Bank Finance and Independence," IMF Working Papers 08/37, International Monetary Fund.
- Alain Ize, 2007.
"Spending Seigniorage: Do Central Banks Have a Governance Problem?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 54(3), pages 563-589, July.
- Alain Ize, 2006. "Spending Seigniorage; Do Central Banks Have a Governance Problem?," IMF Working Papers 06/58, International Monetary Fund.
- Thomas F. Cargill, 2005. "Is the Bank of Japan's Financial Structure an Obstacle to Policy?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(2), pages 311-334, September.
- Jean-FranÃ§ois Segalotto & Marco Arnone & Bernard J Laurens, 2006. "Measures of Central Bank Autonomy; Empirical Evidence for OECD, Developing, and Emerging Market Economies," IMF Working Papers 06/228, International Monetary Fund.
- Gauti B. Eggertsson & Eric Le Borgne, 2005. "The politics of central bank independence: a theory of pandering and learning in government," Staff Reports 205, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Peter Stella, 2008. "Central Bank Financial Strength, Policy Constraints and Inflation," IMF Working Papers 08/49, International Monetary Fund.
- Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Haan, Jakob de, 2001.
"Inflation in developing countries: does Central Bank independence matter?,"
CCSO Working Papers
200101, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Jan-Egbert Sturm & Jakob de Haan, 2001. "Inflation in Developing Countries: Does Central Bank Independence Matter?," CESifo Working Paper Series 511, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bernard J Laurens & Marco Arnone & Jean-FranÃ§ois Segalotto, 2006. "The Measurement of Central Bank Autonomy; Survey of Models, Indicators, and Empirical Evidence," IMF Working Papers 06/227, International Monetary Fund.
- George A Mackenzie & Peter Stella, 1996. "Quasi-Fiscal Operations of Public Financial Institutions," IMF Occasional Papers 142, International Monetary Fund.
- John Hawkins, 2003. "Central bank balance sheets and fiscal operations," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Fiscal issues and central banking in emerging economies, volume 20, pages 71-83 Bank for International Settlements.
- Francisco F. Vazquez & Carmen Reinhart & Marco Arena, 2007.
"The Lending Channel in Emerging Economies; Are Foreign Banks Different?,"
IMF Working Papers
07/48, International Monetary Fund.
- Marco Arena & Carmen Reinhart & Francisco Vázquez, 2006. "The Lending Channel in Emerging Economics: Are Foreign Banks Different?," NBER Working Papers 12340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Stella, 2005. "Central Bank Financial Strength, Transparency, and Policy Credibility," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(2), pages 335-365, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:08/176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.