Chile; Trade Performance,Trade Liberalization, and Competitiveness
This paper analyses the evolution of Chile's trade between 1990 and 2007, studying in particular the impact of trade liberalization in addition to traditional price and demand determinants. The results show that export and import flows are mainly responsive to external and domestic demand, and less so to relative prices, although there is a small impact on imports. In addition, the analysis suggests that trade liberalization may have played a role in increasing exports and imports. Estimations of trade elasticities for other countries in Latin America tend to confirm the results found for Chile.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Juan Nicolás Hernández, .
"Demanda de Exportaciones no Tradicionales en Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
333, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Juan Nicolás Hernández, 2005. "Demanda De Exportaciones No Tradicionales En Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002268, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Dierk Herzer & Sebastian Vollmer, 2005.
"The Free Trade Agreement between Chile and the EU: Its Potential Impact on Chile´s Export Industry,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
125, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- NOWAK-LEHMANN D., Felicitas & HERZER, Dierk & VOLLMER, Sebastian, 2007. "The Free Trade Agreement Between Chile And The Eu: Its Potential Impact On Chile’S Export Industry," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(1).
- Claudio Bravo-Ortega & Manuel Agosin Trumper, 2007.
"The Emergence Of New Successful Export Activities In Latin America: The Case Of Chile,"
wp236, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Manuel R. Agosin & Claudio Bravo Ortega, 2009. "The Emergence of New Successful Export Activities in Latin America: The Case of Chile," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 44838, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Manuel Agosin & Claudio Bravo-Ortega, 2009. "The Emergence of New Successful Export Activities in Latin America: The Case of Chile," Research Department Publications 3265, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Juan Nicolás Hernández, 2005.
"Demanda De Importaciones Para El Caso Colombiano: 1980 - 2004,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002269, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan Nicolás Hernández, . "Demanda De Importaciones Para El Caso Colombiano: 1980 - 2004," Borradores de Economia 356, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Keiko Murata & Dave Turner & David Rae & Laurence Le Fouler, 2000. "Modelling Manufacturing Export Volumes Equations: A System Estimation Approach," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 235, OECD Publishing.
- Claudio Paiva, 2003. "Trade Elasticities and Market Expectations in Brazil," IMF Working Papers 03/140, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:08/128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.