Decomposing Financial Risks and Vulnerabilities in Eastern Europe
This paper assesses how various types of financial risk such as credit risk, market risk, and liquidity risk affect banking stability in the ten countries that joined the European Union most recently, and eight neighboring countries. It also examines how the quality of supervisory standards may have mitigated the vulnerabilities arising from these risk factors. Using panel data, the study finds substantial variation in the impacts of financial risks, the macroeconomic environment, and supervisory standards on banks' risk profile across different country clusters. Credit quality is of general concern especially in circumstances where credit growth is accelerating.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- János Vincze, 2001. "Financial Stability, Monetary Policy and Integration: Policy Choices for Transition Economies," MNB Working Papers 2001/4, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- Ilko Naaborg & Bert Scholtens & Jakob de Haan & Hanneke Bol & Ralph de Haas, 2003.
"How Important are Foreign Banks in the Financial Development of European Transition Countries?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1100, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ilko Naaborg & Bert Scholtens & Jakob de Haan & Hanneke Bol & Ralph de Haas, 2004. "How Important are Foreign Banks in the Financial Development of European Transition Countries?," Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Institute for Financial Management and Research, vol. 3(2), pages 99-123, August.
- Richard Podpiera, 2004. "Does Compliance with Basel Core Principles Bring Any Measurable Benefits?," IMF Working Papers 04/204, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 2001.
"The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows,"
DELTA Working Papers
2001-08, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," NBER Working Papers 7336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 2225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 2000. "The determinants of cross-border equity flows," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20203, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- R Portes & H Rey, 2000. "The Determinants Of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEP Discussion Papers dp0446, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lin, Shu Ling & Penm, Jack H.W. & Gong, Shang-Chi & Chang, Ching-Shan, 2005. "Risk-based capital adequacy in assessing on insolvency-risk and financial performances in Taiwan's banking industry," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 111-153, March.
- Anne Marie Gulde & Juha KÃ¤hkÃ¶nen & Peter Keller, 2000. "Pros and Cons of Currency Board Arrangements in the Lead-Up to EU Accession and Participation in the Euro Zone," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 00/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Ivanna Vladkova Hollar & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Carlo Cottarelli, 2003.
"Early Birds, Late Risers, and Sleeping Beauties; Bank Credit Growth to the Private Sector in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Balkans,"
IMF Working Papers
03/213, International Monetary Fund.
- Cottarelli, Carlo & Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Vladkova-Hollar, Ivanna, 2005. "Early birds, late risers, and sleeping beauties: Bank credit growth to the private sector in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Balkans," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 83-104, January.
- Kobor, Adam & Szekely, Istvan P., 2004.
"Foreign exchange market volatility in EU accession countries in the run-up to Euro adoption: weathering uncharted waters,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 337-352, December.
- IstvÃ¡n P. SzÃ©kely & ÃdÃ¡m KÃ³bor, 2004. "Foreign Exchange Market Volatility in Eu Accession Countries in the Run-Up to Euro Adoption; Weathering Uncharted Waters," IMF Working Papers 04/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Udaibir S. Das & Plamen Yossifov & Richard Podpiera & Dmitriy Rozhkov, 2005. "Quality of Financial Policies and Financial System Stress," IMF Working Papers 05/173, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2003. "Competitiveness in the Baltics in the Run-Up to EU Accession," IMF Staff Country Reports 03/114, International Monetary Fund.
- Ceyla Pazarbasioglu & Gudrun Johnsen & Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Inci Ã–tker, 2005. "Assessing and Managing Rapid Credit Growth and the Role of Supervisory and Prudential Policies," IMF Working Papers 05/151, International Monetary Fund.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2007.
"Current Account Deficits in Rich Countries,"
Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 54(2), pages 127-158, June.
- International Monetary Fund, 2007. "Vulnerabilities in Emerging Southeastern Europe; How Much Cause for Concern?," IMF Working Papers 07/236, International Monetary Fund.
- DeLisle Worrell, 2004. "Quantitative Assessment of the Financial Sector; An Integrated Approach," IMF Working Papers 04/153, International Monetary Fund.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2005. "Foreign direct investment in the financial sector - experiences in Asia, central and eastern Europe and Latin America," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 25, Autumn.
- Manna, Michele, 2004. "Developing statistical indicators of the integration of the euro area banking system," Working Paper Series 0300, European Central Bank.
- Nancy L. Wagner & Dora M. Iakova, 2001. "Financial Sector Evolution in the Central European Economies; Challenges in Supporting Macroeconomic Stability and Sustainable Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/141, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Backé & Christian Thimann & Olga Arratibel & Oscar Calvo-Gonzalez & Arnaud Mehl & Carolin Nerlich, 2004. "The acceding countries’ strategies towards ERM II and the adoption of the euro - an analytical review," Occasional Paper Series 10, European Central Bank.
- Gianni De Nicolo, 2000. "Size, charter value and risk in banking: an international perspective," International Finance Discussion Papers 689, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Philip Lowe & Claudio Borio, 2002. "Asset prices, financial and monetary stability: exploring the nexus," BIS Working Papers 114, Bank for International Settlements.
- Louis Kuijs & Alain Borghijs, 2004. "Exchange Rates in Central Europe; A Blessing o+L2762r a Curse?," IMF Working Papers 04/2, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:07/248. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.