Policy Challenges of Population Aging in Ireland
The projected rise in age-related government spending as a share of GDP in Ireland over the next forty years is among the highest in the euro area. In the absence of reforms, public debt will increase to unsustainable levels. This paper uses the IMF's Global Fiscal Model to compare the macroeconomic effects of different fiscal strategies to accommodate the rise in age-related spending. The simulations suggest that adopting a package of measures, including an increase in the retirement age, broadening the tax base, and raising indirect taxes, would be a more growth-friendly strategy than relying exclusively on raising the social security contribution rate.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicoletta Batini & Alessandro Rebucci & Papa M'B. P. N'Diaye, 2005.
"The Domestic and Global Impact of Japan's Policies for Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
05/209, International Monetary Fund.
- Nicoletta Batini & Papa N'Diaye & Alessandro Rebucci, 2005. "The domestic and global impact of Japan’s policies for growth," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Dirk Muir & Douglas Laxton & Dennis P. J. Botman & Andrei Romanov, 2006. "A New-Open-Economy Macro Model for Fiscal Policy Evaluation," IMF Working Papers 06/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Hans Fehr & Sabine Jokisch & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 2004.
"The Role of Immigration in Dealing with the Developed World's Demographic Transition,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 60(3), pages 296-, September.
- Hans Fehr & Sabine Jokisch & Laurence Kotlikoff, 2004. "The Role of Immigration in Dealing with the Developed World's Demographic Transition," NBER Working Papers 10512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Ford & Douglas Laxton, 1995.
"World Public Debt and Real Interest Rates,"
IMF Working Papers
95/30, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:rus:hseeco:316801 is not listed on IDEAS
- Manmohan S. Kumar & Dennis P. J. Botman, 2007. "Global Aging Pressures: Impact of Fiscal Adjustment, Policy Cooperation, and Structural Reforms," IMF Working Papers 07/196, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:07/247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.