A Note on Public Debt, Tax-Exempt Bonds, and Ponzi Games
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Wigger, Berthold U., 2009. "A note on public debt, tax-exempt bonds, and Ponzi games," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 492-499, September.
References listed on IDEAS
- Chalk, Nigel A., 2000. "The sustainability of bond-financed deficits: An overlapping generations approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 293-328, April.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Yanagawa, Noriyuki, 1993.
"Asset bubbles and endogenous growth,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 3-19, February.
- Grossman, G.M. & Yanagawa, N., 1992. "Asset Bubbles and Endogenous Growth," Papers 160, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Noriyuki Yanagawa & Gene M. Grossman, 1992. "Asset Bubbles and Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 4004, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Ian & Ferguson, Don, 1993. "Dynamic inefficiency, endogenous growth, and Ponzi games," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 79-104, August.
- O'Connell, Stephen A & Zeldes, Stephen P, 1988.
"Rational Ponzi Games,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(3), pages 431-450, August.
- Stephen A. O'Connell & Stephen P. Zeldes, "undated". "Rational Ponzi Games," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 18-86, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Ball, Laurence & Elmendorf, Douglas W & Mankiw, N Gregory, 1998.
"The Deficit Gamble,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(4), pages 699-720, November.
- Laurence Ball & Douglas W. Elmendorf & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1995. "The Deficit Gamble," NBER Working Papers 5015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Ball & Douglas W. Elmendorf & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1995. "The Deficit Gamble," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1710, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Galor, Oded & Ryder, Harl E., 1991.
"Dynamic efficiency of steady-state equilibria in an overlapping-generations model with productive capital,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 385-390, April.
- Oded Galor & Harl E. Ryder, 1988. "Dynamic efficiency of steady-state equilibria in an overlapping-generations model with productive capital," Working Papers 1988-26, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- John Norregaard, 1997. "The Tax Treatment of Government Bonds," IMF Working Papers 97/25, International Monetary Fund.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- Berthold Wigger, 2005. "Public Debt, Human Capital Formation, and Dynamic Inefficiency," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 12(1), pages 47-59, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonio Afonso & Jose Alves, 2015. "The Role of Government Debt in Economic Growth," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 215(4), pages 9-26, December.
- Yasuoka, Masaya & Miyake, Atsushi, 2013.
"Public debt, child allowances and pension benefits with endogenous fertility,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 7, pages 1-25.
- Yasuoka, Masaya & Miyake, Atsushi, 2012. "Public debt, child allowances, and pension benefits with endogenous fertility," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-47, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Uryszek Tomasz, 2015. "Long-term Sustainability Of Public Finance In The Central And Eastern EU Member States / Długoterminowe Zrównoważenie Finansów Publicznych w Krajach Europy Środkowej i Wschodniej Należących Do Ue," Comparative Economic Research, De Gruyter Open, vol. 18(4), pages 47-61, December.
- Narayan, Laxmi, 2017. "Growth of Public Debt in Haryana – Dynamism or Misplaced Priorities," MPRA Paper 79431, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 May 2017.
- Zsuzsa Mosolygó, 2011. "On the long-term trends of public debt. Implications of the government’s Ponzi game and ageing," Public Finance Quarterly, State Audit Office of Hungary, vol. 56(4), pages 446-473.
More about this item
KeywordsPublic debt; tax-exempt bonds; capital taxation; Ponzi game; bonds; public bonds; bond;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2007-09-16 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-FMK-2007-09-16 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-PUB-2007-09-16 (Public Finance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:07/162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/imfffus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.