The Common Monetary Area in Southern Africa; Shocks, Adjustment, and Policy Challenges
This study assesses the experience of the Common Monetary Area (CMA) based on available empirical evidence over the last two decades. It pays particular attention to member countries' adjustment to economic shocks in recent years and the inter-country linkages, including the spillover effects of policies. The paper draws the main lessons from the CMA experience, identifies key policy challenges, and discusses the issues facing the member countries in their efforts to achieve sustained growth. Implications for further economic integration in a broader regional context are also noted.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sachs, Jeffrey & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
"Fiscal Federalism and Optimum Currency Areas: Evidence for Europe from the United States,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin & Jeffrey Sachs, 1991. "Fiscal Federalism and Optimum Currency Areas: Evidence for Europe From the United States," NBER Working Papers 3855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Honohan, Patrick, 1990.
"Price and monetary convergence in currency unions : the Franc and Rand zones,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
390, The World Bank.
- Honohan, Patrick, 1992. "Price and monetary convergence in currency unions: The franc and rand zones," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 397-410, August.
- Owen F. Humpage & Jean M. McIntire, 1995. "An introduction to currency boards," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q II, pages 2-11.
- Christian B. Mulder & Matthieu BussiÃ¨re, 1999. "External Vulnerability in Emerging Market Economies; How High Liquidity Can Offset Weak Fundamentals and the Effects of Contagion," IMF Working Papers 99/88, .
- Anthony M Annett, 2006. "Enforcement and the Stability and Growth Pact; How Fiscal Policy Did and Did Not Change Under Europeâ€™s Fiscal Framework," IMF Working Papers 06/116, .
- Guillaumont, Patrick & Guillaumont, Sylviane & Plane, Patrick, 1988. "Participating in African monetary unions: An alternative evaluation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 569-576, May.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Meshack Tjirongo, 1995. "Short-term stabilization versus long-term price stability: evaluating Namibia's membership of the Common Monetary Area," CSAE Working Paper Series 1995-18, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- World Bank, 2004. "Lesotho : Financial Sector Review," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14537, The World Bank.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & de Melo, Jaime, 1987. "Evaluating participation in African monetary unions: A statistical analysis of the CFA Zones," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 483-496, April.
- Cobham, David & Robson, Peter, 1994. "Monetary integration in Africa: A deliberately European perspective," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 285-299, March.
- Catherine A Pattillo & Paul R Masson, 2001. "Monetary Union in West Africa (ECOWAS)," IMF Occasional Papers 204, International Monetary Fund.
- Hannah Nielsen & Ebson Uanguta & Sylvanus Ikhide, 2005. "Financial Integration In The Common Monetary Area," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 73(4), pages 710-721, December.
- X. P. Guma*, 1985. "The Rand Monetary Area Agreement," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 53(2), pages 109-120, 06.
- Martin Grandes, 2003. "Macroeconomic Convergence in Southern Africa: The Rand Zone Experience," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 231, OECD Publishing.
- Ronald Macdonald & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2004.
"Estimation Of The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate For South Africa,"
South African Journal of Economics,
Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(2), pages 282-304, 06.
- Ronald MacDonald & Luca A Ricci, 2003. "Estimation of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate for South Africa," IMF Working Papers 03/44, .
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:07/158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.