The Common Monetary Area in Southern Africa; Shocks, Adjustment, and Policy Challenges
This study assesses the experience of the Common Monetary Area (CMA) based on available empirical evidence over the last two decades. It pays particular attention to member countries' adjustment to economic shocks in recent years and the inter-country linkages, including the spillover effects of policies. The paper draws the main lessons from the CMA experience, identifies key policy challenges, and discusses the issues facing the member countries in their efforts to achieve sustained growth. Implications for further economic integration in a broader regional context are also noted.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillaumont, Patrick & Guillaumont, Sylviane & Plane, Patrick, 1988. "Participating in African monetary unions: An alternative evaluation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 569-576, May.
- Catherine A. Pattillo & Paul R. Masson, 2001. "Monetary Union in West Africa (ECOWAS)," IMF Occasional Papers 204, International Monetary Fund.
- World Bank, 2004. "Lesotho : Financial Sector Review," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14537, The World Bank.
- X. P. Guma*, 1985. "The Rand Monetary Area Agreement," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 53(2), pages 109-120, 06.
- Ronald Macdonald & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2004.
"Estimation Of The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate For South Africa,"
South African Journal of Economics,
Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(2), pages 282-304, 06.
- Ronald MacDonald & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2003. "Estimation of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate for South Africa," IMF Working Papers 03/44, International Monetary Fund.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Honohan, Patrick, 1990.
"Price and monetary convergence in currency unions : the Franc and Rand zones,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
390, The World Bank.
- Honohan, Patrick, 1992. "Price and monetary convergence in currency unions: The franc and rand zones," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 397-410, August.
- Hannah Nielsen & Ebson Uanguta & Sylvanus Ikhide, 2005. "Financial Integration In The Common Monetary Area," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 73(4), pages 710-721, December.
- Sachs, Jeffrey & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
"Fiscal Federalism and Optimum Currency Areas: Evidence for Europe from the United States,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin & Jeffrey Sachs, 1991. "Fiscal Federalism and Optimum Currency Areas: Evidence for Europe From the United States," NBER Working Papers 3855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Grandes, 2003. "Macroeconomic Convergence in Southern Africa: The Rand Zone Experience," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 231, OECD Publishing.
- Meshack Tjirongo, 1995. "Short-term stabilization versus long-term price stability: evaluating Namibia's membership of the Common Monetary Area," CSAE Working Paper Series 1995-18, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Cobham, David & Robson, Peter, 1994. "Monetary integration in Africa: A deliberately European perspective," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 285-299, March.
- Owen F. Humpage & Jean M. McIntire, 1995. "An introduction to currency boards," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q II, pages 2-11.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & de Melo, Jaime, 1987. "Evaluating participation in African monetary unions: A statistical analysis of the CFA Zones," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 483-496, April.
- Christian B. Mulder & Matthieu BussiÃ¨re, 1999. "External Vulnerability in Emerging Market Economies; How High Liquidity Can Offset Weak Fundamentals and the Effects of Contagion," IMF Working Papers 99/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Anthony Annett, 2006. "Enforcement and the Stability and Growth Pact; How Fiscal Policy Did and Did Not Change Under Europeâ€™s Fiscal Framework," IMF Working Papers 06/116, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:07/158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.