The Common Monetary Area in Southern Africa; Shocks, Adjustment, and Policy Challenges
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Martin Grandes, 2003. "Macroeconomic Convergence in Southern Africa: The Rand Zone Experience," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 231, OECD Publishing.
- Cobham, David & Robson, Peter, 1994. "Monetary integration in Africa: A deliberately European perspective," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 285-299, March.
- Guillaumont, Patrick & Guillaumont, Sylviane & Plane, Patrick, 1988. "Participating in African monetary unions: An alternative evaluation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 569-576, May.
- Christian B. Mulder & Matthieu Bussière, 1999. "External Vulnerability in Emerging Market Economies; How High Liquidity Can Offset Weak Fundamentals and the Effects of Contagion," IMF Working Papers 99/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Honohan, Patrick, 1992.
"Price and monetary convergence in currency unions: The franc and rand zones,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 397-410, August.
- Honohan, Patrick, 1990. "Price and monetary convergence in currency unions : the Franc and Rand zones," Policy Research Working Paper Series 390, The World Bank.
- Owen F. Humpage & Jean M. McIntire, 1995. "An introduction to currency boards," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q II, pages 2-11.
- Meshack Tjirongo, 1995. "Short-term stabilization versus long-term price stability: evaluating Namibia's membership of the Common Monetary Area," CSAE Working Paper Series 1995-18, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Catherine A Pattillo & Paul R Masson, 2001. "Monetary Union in West Africa (ECOWAS)," IMF Occasional Papers 204, International Monetary Fund.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- X. P. Guma*, 1985. "The Rand Monetary Area Agreement," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 53(2), pages 109-120, June.
- World Bank, 2004. "Lesotho : Financial Sector Review," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14537, The World Bank.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin & Jeffrey Sachs, 1991.
"Fiscal Federalism and Optimum Currency Areas: Evidence for Europe From the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
3855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sachs, Jeffrey & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Fiscal Federalism and Optimum Currency Areas: Evidence for Europe from the United States," CEPR Discussion Papers 632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anthony M Annett, 2006. "Enforcement and the Stability and Growth Pact; How Fiscal Policy Did and Did Not Change Under Europe’s Fiscal Framework," IMF Working Papers 06/116, International Monetary Fund.
- Ronald Macdonald & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2004.
"Estimation Of The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate For South Africa,"
South African Journal of Economics,
Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(2), pages 282-304, June.
- Ronald MacDonald & Luca A Ricci, 2003. "Estimation of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate for South Africa," IMF Working Papers 03/44, International Monetary Fund.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & de Melo, Jaime, 1987. "Evaluating participation in African monetary unions: A statistical analysis of the CFA Zones," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 483-496, April.
- Hannah Nielsen & Ebson Uanguta & Sylvanus Ikhide, 2005. "Financial Integration In The Common Monetary Area," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 73(4), pages 710-721, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M. J. Aziakpono & S. Kleimeier & H. Sander, 2012.
"Banking market integration in the SADC countries: evidence from interest rate analyses,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(29), pages 3857-3876, October.
- Aziakpono, Meshach & Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald, 2007. "Banking Market Integration in the SADC Countries: Evidence from Interest Rate Analyses," Research Memorandum 047, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Meshach Aziakpono & Stefanie Kleimeier & Harald Sander, 2011. "Banking Market Integration In The Sadc Countries: Evidence From Interest Rate Analyses," Post-Print hal-00712383, HAL.
- Logan Rangasamy, 2011.
"Food Inflation In South Africa: Some Implications For Economic Policy,"
South African Journal of Economics,
Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 79(2), pages 184-201, June.
- Logan Rangasamy, 2010. "Food inflation in South Africa: Some implications for economic policy," Working Papers 197, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- repec:eee:reveco:v:54:y:2018:i:c:p:154-164 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bruce Hearn & Jenifer Piesse, 2010. "The limited role of small stock exchanges in economic development: A case study of Mozambique and Swaziland," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(2), pages 205-224.
- Jian-Ye Wang & Nisreen H. Farhan & Amar Shanghavi & Márcio Valério Ronci & Misa Takebe, 2008. "The Choice of Monetary and Exchange Rate Arrangements for a Small, Open, Low-Income Economy; The Case of São Tomé and Príncipe," IMF Working Papers 08/118, International Monetary Fund.
- Simplice Asongu & Jacinta Nwachukwu & Vanessa Tchamyou, 2017.
"A Literature Survey On Proposed African Monetary Unions,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 878-902, July.
- Asongu, Simplice A & Nwachukwu, Jacinta & Tchamyou, Vanessa, 2015. "A Literature Survey on Proposed African Monetary Unions," MPRA Paper 70234, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Simplice Asongu & Jacinta C. Nwachukwu & Vanessa S. Tchamyou, 2015. "A Literature Survey on Proposed African Monetary Unions," Working Papers of the African Governance and Development Institute. 15/042, African Governance and Development Institute..
- repec:dug:actaec:y:2016:i:5:p:211-226 is not listed on IDEAS
- Simplice Asongu & Jacinta C. Nwachukwu & Vanessa S. Tchamyou, 2017.
"A summary of a survey on proposed African monetary unions,"
Working Papers of the African Governance and Development Institute.
17/008, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Asongu, Simplice & Nwachukwu, Jacinta & Tchamyou, Vanessa, 2017. "A summary of a survey on proposed African monetary unions," MPRA Paper 79637, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leo Frey & Ulrich Volz, 2013.
"Regional Financial Integration In Sub-Saharan Africa – An Empirical Examination Of Its Effects On Financial Market Development,"
South African Journal of Economics,
Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 81(1), pages 79-117, March.
- Frey, Leo & Volz, Ulrich, 2011. "Regional Financial Integration in Sub-Saharan Africa - An Empirical Examination of its Effects on Financial Market Development," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 29, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- J. Acalin & B. Cabrillac & G. Dufrénot & L. Jacolin & S. Diop, 2015. "Financial integration and growth correlation in Sub-Saharan Africa," Working papers 561, Banque de France.
- Xavier Debrun & Paul R. Masson, 2013. "Modelling Monetary Union in Southern Africa: Welfare Evaluation for the CMA and SADC," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 81(2), pages 275-291, June.
More about this item
KeywordsAdjustment process; Economic policy; Financial integration; Financial sector; Exchange Rate; Monetary Union; Shocks; Policy Adjustment; inflation; central bank; monetary unions; monetary fund;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2007-10-13 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-10-13 (Development)
- NEP-MAC-2007-10-13 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-10-13 (Monetary Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:07/158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/imfffus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.