China: Strengthening Monetary Policy Implementation
The People''s Bank of China (PBC) has made great strides in modernizing its monetary policy frameworks but their effectiveness will diminish as the sophistication of the economy increases. Empirical evidence supports maintaining a reference to money in China''s monetary strategy and enhancing the role of interest rates in its conduct. We advocate adoption of an eclectic strategy involving the monitoring of several indicators, and of a short-term interest rate as the operational target. The PBC should be granted discretion to change its policy rate, and there are no technical obstacles for such a move to occur in the near future.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Podpiera, 2006. "Progress in China'S Banking Sector Reform: Has Bank Behavior Changed?," IMF Working Papers 06/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Eswar Prasad, 2004. "China's Growth and Integration into the World Economy: Prospects and Challenges," IMF Occasional Papers 232, International Monetary Fund.
- Nicholas R. Lardy, 2005. "Exchange Rate and Monetary Policy in China," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 25(1), pages 41-47, Winter.
- Estrella, Arturo & Mishkin, Frederic S., 1997.
"Is there a role for monetary aggregates in the conduct of monetary policy?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 279-304, October.
- Arturo Estrella & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1996. "Is There a Role for Monetary Aggregates in the Conduct of Monetary Policy?," NBER Working Papers 5845, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruggeman, Annick & Camba-Méndez, Gonzalo & Fischer, Björn & Sousa, João, 2005. "Structural filters for monetary analysis: the inflationary movements of money in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0470, European Central Bank.
- Bernard Laurens, 2005. "Monetary Policy Implementation at Different Stages of Market Development," IMF Occasional Papers 244, International Monetary Fund.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Eswar Prasad, 2009.
"A Framework for Independent Monetary Policy in China,"
in: Monetary Policy Frameworks for Emerging Markets, chapter 8
- Marvin Goodfriend & Eswar Prasad, 2007. "A Framework for Independent Monetary Policy in China," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 53(1), pages 2-41, March.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Eswar Prasad, 2006. "A Framework for Independent Monetary Policy in China," IMF Working Papers 06/111, International Monetary Fund.
- Marc Quintyn & Bernard Laurens & Hassanali Mehran & Tom Nordman, 1996. "Monetary and Exchange System Reforms in China: An Experiment in Gradualism," IMF Occasional Papers 141, International Monetary Fund.
- Bindseil, Ulrich, 2004. "The operational target of monetary policy and the rise and fall of reserve position doctrine," Working Paper Series 0372, European Central Bank.
- Eswar Prasad & Qing Wang & Thomas Rumbaugh, 2005. "Putting the Cart Before the Horse? Capital Account Liberalization and Exchange Rate Flexibility in China," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 05/1, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:07/14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.