Pension Reform and Macroeconomic Stability in Latin America
This paper reviews macroeconomic aspects of pension reforms in Latin America, focusing on financial market stability and fiscal sustainability. Concentration of pension fund portfolios in government bonds remains high, and the lack of new investment alternatives has distorted asset prices. Countries have gradually liberalized investments abroad, but remain wary of the impact on foreign currency markets. The fiscal costs of the transition to funded systems have been higher than expected, and have contributed to high debt levels. The paper highlights the importance of coordinating changes in portfolio limits with debt management policies and measures to develop securities markets.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pietro Masci & Carolin A. Crabbe & Guillermo Larraín Ríos & Agustín Vidal-Aragón de Olives & The Principal Financial Group & Alberto Arenas de Mesa & Kenroy Dowers & Lawrence H. Thompson & Rafael Rofm, 2005. "A Quarter Century of Pension Reform in Latin America and the Caribbean: Lessons Learned and Next Steps," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 41658 edited by Carolin A. Crabbe, January.
- repec:idb:brikps:41658 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 2001. "The Role of International Investment in a Privatized Social Security System," NBER Chapters, in: Risk Aspects of Investment-Based Social Security Reform, pages 371-438 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Indermit S. Gill & Truman Packard & Juan Yermo, 2005. "Keeping the Promise of Social Security in Latin America," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7391.
- Schmidt-Hebbel, K., 1995. "Columbia's Pension Reform. Fiscal and Macroeconomic Effects," World Bank - Discussion Papers 314, World Bank.
- Walker, Eduardo & Lefort, Fernando, 2002.
"Pension reform and capital markets : are there any (hard) links?,"
Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes
24082, The World Bank.
- Eduardo Walker & Fernando Lefort, 2002. "Pension Reform And Capital Markets: Are There Any (Hard) Links?," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 5(2), pages 77-149.
- Catalan, Mario & Impavido, Gregorio & Musalem, Alberto R., 2000. "Contractual savings or stock market development - Which leads?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2421, The World Bank.
- Hernando Vargas H. & Rocío Betancourt, 2006.
"Pension Fund Managers Behavior In The Foreign Exchange Market,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003317, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Hernando Vargas & Rocío Betnacourt, . "Pension Fund Managers Behavior In The Foreign Exchange Market," Borradores de Economia 391, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Srinivas, P.S. & Whitehouse, Edward & Yermo, Juan, 2000.
"Regulating private pension funds’ structure, performance and investments: cross-country evidence,"
14753, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Srinivas, P.S. & Whitehouse, Edward & Yermo, Juan, 2000. "Regulating private pension funds'structure, performance, and investments : cross-country evidence," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 23302, The World Bank.
- N. A. Barr, 2002. "The Pension Puzzle; Prerequisites and Policy Choices in Pension Design," IMF Economic Issues 29, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:idb:brikps:59998 is not listed on IDEAS
- Holzmann, Robert, 1998. "Financing the transition to multipillar," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 20052, The World Bank.
- Roberto Blanco & Víctor García-Vaquero, 2006. "The financial system," Other publications, in: The analysis of the Spanish Economy, chapter 19, pages 517-545 Banco de España;Other publications Homepage.
- Salvador Valdés & Peter Diamond, . "Social Security Reforms in Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 161, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Indermit S. Gill & Truman G. Packard & Juan Yermo, 2005. "Keeping the Promise of Social Security in Latin America," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 59998, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:07/108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.