Does NGO Aid Go to the Poor? Empirical Evidence from Europe
This paper studies the aid allocation of European nongovernmental organizations (NGOs). Once population is controlled for, poverty consistently appears as the main worldwide determinant of NGO aid allocation. NGOs do not respond to strategic considerations. Their funding source does not seem to exert a great influence on their aid allocation decision. We also find differences across regions. Militarization and the political nature of the regime of the recipient country affect aid allocation in the Middle East. Life expectancy influences aid allocation in countries in the Western Hemisphere and the Middle East.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alesina, Alberto & Weder, Beatrice, 2002.
"Do Corrupt Governments Receive Less Foreign Aid?,"
4553011, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1999.
"GMM estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions,"
IFS Working Papers
W99/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 2000. "GMM Estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 321-340.
- Simon Feeny & Mark McGillivray, 2003. "Aid and public sector borrowing in developing countries," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(8), pages 989-998.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998.
"Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
NBER Working Papers
6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steve Bond, 2002. "Dynamic panel data models: a guide to microdata methods and practice," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Jack, William, 2001. "Public policy toward nongovernmental organizations in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2639, The World Bank.
- Collier, Paul & Dollar, David, 1999.
"Aid allocation and poverty reduction,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2041, The World Bank.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Frey, Bruno S. & Schneider, Friedrich, 1986. "Competing models of international lending activity," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 225-245, March.
- Janet G. Townsend & Gina Porter & Emma Mawdsley, 2002. "The role of the transnational community of non-government organizations: governance or poverty reduction?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(6), pages 829-839.
- Rick Davies, 1997. "Donor Information Demands And Ngo Institutional Development," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 613-620.
- Anna Fruttero & Varun Gauri, 2003. "Location decisions and nongovernmental organization motivation : evidence from rural Bangladesh," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3176, The World Bank.
- Dudley, Leonard & Montmarquette, Claude, 1976. "A Model of the Supply of Bilateral Foreign Aid," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 132-42, March.
- Mick Howes, 1997. "NGOs AND THE INSTITUTIONAL DEVELOPMENT OF MEMBERSHIP ORGANIZATIONS: THE EVIDENCE FROM SIX CASES," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 597-604.
- Sarah Lister, 2001. "The consultation practice of Northern NGOs: a study of British organizations in Guatemala," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 1071-1082.
- Meyer, Carrie A., 1995. "Opportunism and NGOs: Entrepreneurship and green north-south transfers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 1277-1289, August.
- Gounder, Rukmani, 1994. "Empirical results of aid motivations: Australia's bilateral aid program," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 99-113, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:06/39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.