The Rise of Foreign Investment in China's Banks; Taking Stock
The recent wave of foreign investment in China's banks and the prospects of further opening of the banking sector under the WTO agreement suggest that foreign banks are likely to play an increasingly important role in China. This paper takes stock of the involvement of foreign banks in the Chinese banking sector in the perspective of international experience. While in most other countries foreign bank entry took the form of direct takeover or majority shareholding, foreign investments in China's banks have been minority shareholdings with very limited management involvement. The paper concludes that China appears to be well positioned to benefit from further opening of the banking sector to foreign investors. International experience suggests that greater competition from and participation of foreign banks can in general bring important benefits if appropriate incentives and sufficient opportunities are created.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Van Tassel & Sharmila Vishwasrao, 2006.
"Asymmetric Information and the Mode of Entry In Foreign Credit Markets,"
06002, Department of Economics, College of Business, Florida Atlantic University.
- Van Tassel, Eric & Vishwasrao, Sharmila, 2007. "Asymmetric information and the mode of entry in foreign credit markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3742-3760, December.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998.
"Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1900, The World Bank.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Enrica Detragiache & Thierry Tressel & Poonam Gupta, 2008.
"Foreign Banks in Poor Countries: Theory and Evidence,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 63(5), pages 2123-2160, October.
- Enrica Detragiache & Poonam Gupta & Thierry Tressel, 2006. "Foreign Banks in Poor Countries; Theory and Evidence," IMF Working Papers 06/18, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard Podpiera, 2006. "Progress in China'S Banking Sector Reform; Has Bank Behavior Changed?," IMF Working Papers 06/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2003.
"Regulations, Market Structure, Institutions, and the Cost of Financial Intermediation,"
NBER Working Papers
9890, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2004. "Regulations, Market Structure, Institutions, and the Cost of Financial Intermediation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 593-622, June.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2004. "Regulations, market structure, institutions, and the cost of financial intermediation," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 593-626.
- Detragiache, Enrica & Gupta, Poonam, 2006.
"Foreign banks in emerging market crises: Evidence from Malaysia,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 217-242, October.
- Enrica Detragiache & Poonam Gupta, 2004. "Foreign Banks in Emerging Market Crises; Evidence From Malaysia," IMF Working Papers 04/129, International Monetary Fund.
- Dietrich Domanski, 2005. "Foreign banks in emerging market economies: changing players, changing issues," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Barajas, Adolfo & Steiner, Roberto & Salazar, Natalia, 2000. "The impact of liberalization and foreign investment in Colombia's financial sector," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 157-196, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:06/292. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.