Exchange Rate Risk Measurement and Management; Issues and Approaches for Firms
Measuring and managing exchange rate risk exposure is important for reducing a firm's vulnerabilities from major exchange rate movements, which could adversely affect profit margins and the value of assets. This paper reviews the traditional types of exchange rate risk faced by firms, namely transaction, translation and economic risks, presents the VaR approach as the currently predominant method of measuring a firm's exchange rate risk exposure, and examines the main advantages and disadvantages of various exchange rate risk management strategies, including tactical versus strategical and passive versus active hedging. In addition, it outlines a set of widely accepted best practices in managing currency risk and presents some of the main hedging instruments in the OTC and exchange-traded markets. The paper also provides some data on the use of financial derivatives instruments, and hedging practices by U.S. firms.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bansal, Ravi & Dahlquist, Magnus, 2000.
"The forward premium puzzle: different tales from developed and emerging economies,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 115-144, June.
- Bansal, Ravi & Dahlquist, Magnus, 1999. "The Forward Premium Puzzle: Different Tales from Developed and Emerging Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2169, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Gebhardt, Günther, 1998. "Derivatives usage in risk management by U.S. and German non-financial firms: A comparative survey," CFS Working Paper Series 1998/17, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Bodnar, G.M. & Gebhart, G., 1998. "Derivatives Usage in Risk Management by US and German Non-Financial Firms: A Comparative Survey," Weiss Center Working Papers 98-03, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & Gunther Gebhardt, 1998. "Derivatives Usage in Risk Management by US and German Non-Financial Firms: A Comparative Survey," NBER Working Papers 6705, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.