Any Link Between Legal Central Bank Independence and Inflation? Evidence From Latin America and the Caribbean
This paper reviews central bank legislation in 24 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean during the 1990s. Using panel regressions, we find a negative relationship between legal central bank independence (CBI) and inflation. This result holds for three alternative measures of CBI and after controlling for international inflation, banking crises, and exchange regimes. The result is also robust to the inclusion of a broader indicator of structural reforms that usually go along with changes in central bank legislation, illustrating the complementary nature of various aspects of economic reform. The paper fails, however, to find a causal relationship running from CBI to inflation.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catao, Luis A.V. & Terrones, Marco E., 2005. "Fiscal deficits and inflation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 529-554, April.
- Swamy, P A V B & Arora, S S, 1972. "The Exact Finite Sample Properties of the Estimators of Coefficients in the Error Components Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 261-75, March.
- Balestra, Pietro & Varadharajan-Krishnakumar, Jayalakshmi, 1987. "Full Information Estimations of a System of Simultaneous Equations with Error Component Structure," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 223-246, April.
- David M. Drukker, 2003. "Testing for serial correlation in linear panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 168-177, June.
- Alesina, Alberto & Summers, Lawrence H, 1993. "Central Bank Independence and Macroeconomic Performance: Some Comparative Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 151-62, May.
- Click, Reid W, 1998. "Seigniorage in a Cross-Section of Countries," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(2), pages 154-71, May.
- Marta Campillo & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1996.
"Why Does Inflation Differ Across Countries?,"
NBER Working Papers
5540, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:imf:imfwpa:97/138 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 1985. "The Optimal Degree of Commitment to an Intermediate Monetary Target," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(4), pages 1169-89, November.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Schaling, E. & Hoeberichts, M.M., 1997.
"Central bank independence : A sensitivity analysis,"
Other publications TiSEM
59020a3a-1cb8-4e8f-a2b8-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Schaling, E. & Hoeberichts, M.M., 1997. "Central Bank independence : A sensitivity analysis," Discussion Paper 1997-10, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Schaling, E. & Hoeberichts, M.M., 1998. "Central bank independence : A sensitivity analysis," Other publications TiSEM ebcf989c-472b-4d24-b7c2-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-76091 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-82768 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stanley Fischer, 1993.
"The Role of Macroeconomic Factors in Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Helge & de Haan, Jakob & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W, 2001.
" Central Bank Independence: An Update of Theory and Evidence,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 3-40, February.
- Berger, Helge & de Haan, Jakob & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W, 2000. "Central Bank Independence: An Update of Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2353, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Chang, Young-Jae, 2000. "Simultaneous Equations With Incomplete Panels," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(02), pages 269-279, April.
- Brumm, Harold J, 2000. "Inflation and Central Bank Independence: Conventional Wisdom Redux," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(4), pages 807-19, November.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W., 1993. "Central bank independence in twelve industrial countries," Other publications TiSEM 0401b17a-e2c7-4179-ace9-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- De Gregorio, Jose, 1992.
"The effects of inflation on economic growth : Lessons from Latin America,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 417-425, April.
- Jose De Gregorio, 1991. "The Effects of Inflationon Economic Growth: Lessons From Latin America," IMF Working Papers 91/95, International Monetary Fund.
- Jean-Pierre Briffaut & George Iden & Peter C. Hayward & Tonny Lybek & Hassanali Mehran & Piero Ugolini & Stephen Swaray, 1998. "Financial Sector Development in Sub-Saharan African Countries," IMF Occasional Papers 169, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152908 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:05/75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.