Hedging Foreign Exchange Risk in Chile; Markets and Instruments
Policy makers have expressed interest in fostering the development of local foreign exchange derivatives markets with a view to reducing risks arising from currency mismatches between assets and liabilities in the corporate sector. This paper assesses foreign exchange exposure in the corporate sector in Chile, analyzes the current state of the foreign exchange derivatives market in Chile, and argues that liquid and developed foreign exchange derivatives markets can help promote financial stability.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Conrad, Jennifer, 1989. " The Price Effect of Option Introduction," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 487-498, June.
- Garman, Mark B. & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1983. "Foreign currency option values," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 231-237, December.
- Dominguez, Kathryn M.E. & Tesar, Linda L., 2006.
"Exchange rate exposure,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 188-218, January.
- Ricardo J Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2004.
"Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile,"
RBA Research Discussion Papers
rdp2004-03, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2005. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons From Australia and Chile," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 313-354.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," NBER Working Papers 10519, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Kearns & Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin Cowan, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: lessons from Australia and Chile," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 185, Econometric Society.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2005. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," Research Department Publications 4363, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Moguillansky, Graciela, 2002. "Non-Financial Corporate Risk Management and Exchange Rate Volatility in Latin America," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Viviana Fernández, 2002. "The Derivatives Markets in Latin America with an Emphasis on Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 128, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- World Bank & International Monetary Fund, 2004. "Financial Sector Assessment : Chile," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15819, The World Bank.
- Hoa Nguyen & Robert Faff, 2002. "On The Determinants of Derivative Usage by Australian Companies," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 27(1), pages 1-24, June.
- Detemple, Jerome & Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "Option listing and stock returns : An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 781-801, October.
- Niclas Hagelin, 2003. "Why firms hedge with currency derivatives: an examination of transaction and translation exposure," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 55-69.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:05/37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.