U.S. Mutual Fund Retail Investors in International Equity Markets; Is the Tail Wagging the Dog?
Do the dynamics of net flows to U.S. retail mutual funds affect equity returns in emerging markets? The question merits further examination since retail investors in mutual funds can exert a much greater degree of "control" over these funds via cash injections or redemptions at any time. A VAR analysis shows increased discrimination across emerging market regions after the Asian crisis as investors focused on individual regions rather than on emerging markets as a generic asset class. Crossover funds allocations also appear to affect emerging market returns. Furthermore, investment decisions by fund managers seem to be largely driven by retail investor allocations.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Woochan & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2002.
"Foreign portfolio investors before and during a crisis,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 77-96, January.
- Woochan Kim & Shang-Jin Wei, 1999. "Foreign Portfolio Investors before and during a Crisis," CID Working Papers 06A, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Woochan Kim & Shang-Jin Wei, 1999. "Foreign Portfolio Investors Before and during a Crisis," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 210, OECD Publishing.
- Woochan Kim & Shang-Jin Wei, 1999. "Foreign Portfolio Investors Before and During a Crisis," NBER Working Papers 6968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wei, S.J. & Kim, W., 1999. "Foreign Portfolio Investors Before and During a Crisis," Papers 6, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Woochan Kim & Shang-Jin Wei, 1999. "Foreign Portfolio Investors before and during a Crisis," CID Working Papers 6, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1991. " Measuring the Information Content of Stock Trades," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 179-207, March.
- Karen K. Lewis, 1999. "Trying to Explain Home Bias in Equities and Consumption," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(2), pages 571-608, June.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lyons, Richard & Schmukler, Sergio, 2001. "Mutual fund investment in emerging markets - an overview," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2529, The World Bank.
- Eduardo Borensztein & R. Gaston Gelos, 2003. "A Panic-Prone Pack? The Behavior of Emerging Market Mutual Funds," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 50(1), pages 1-3.
- R. G Gelos & Eduardo Borensztein, 2000. "A Panic-Prone Pack? the Behavior of Emerging Market Mutual Funds," IMF Working Papers 00/198, International Monetary Fund.
- Eduardo R. Borensztein & R. Gaston Gelos, 2001. "A Panic-Prone Pack? The Behavior of Emerging Market Mutual Funds," CESifo Working Paper Series 564, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lyons, Richard K. & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2004. "Managers, investors, and crises: mutual fund strategies in emerging markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 113-134, October.
- Graciela Kaminsky & Richard K. Lyons & Sergio Schmukler, 2000. "Managers, Investors, and Crises: Mutual Fund Strategies in Emerging Markets," NBER Working Papers 7855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lyons, Richard & Schmukler, Sergio, 2000. "Managers, investors, and crises : mutual fund strategies in emerging markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2399, The World Bank.
- Hali J. Edison & Francis E. Warnock, 2004. "U.S. Investors' Emerging Market Equity Portfolios: A Security-Level Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 691-704, August.
- Hali J. Edison & Francis E. Warnock, 2003. "U.S. investors' emerging market equity portfolios: a security-level analysis," International Finance Discussion Papers 771, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Francis E. Warnock & Hali J Edison, 2003. "U.S. Investors' Emerging Market Equity Portfolios; A Security-Level Analysis," IMF Working Papers 03/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Borensztein, Eduardo R. & Gelos, R. Gaston, 2003. "Leaders and followers: emerging market fund behavior during tranquil and turbulent times," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 25-38, March.
- Amadou N Sy & Li L Ong, 2004. "The Role of Mature Market Mutual Funds in Emerging Markets; Myth or Mayhem?," IMF Working Papers 04/133, International Monetary Fund.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew & Stulz, Rene M., 2003. "Are financial assets priced locally or globally?," Handbook of the Economics of Finance,in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 16, pages 975-1020 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:05/162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.