Does Regulatory Governance Matter for Financial System Stability? An Empirical Analysis
This paper provides empirical evidence that the quality of regulatory governance-governance practices adopted by financial system regulators and supervisors-matters for financial system soundness. The paper constructs indices of financial system soundness and regulatory governance, based on country data collected from the Financial Sector Assessment Program (FSAP). Regression results indicate that regulatory governance has a significant influence on financial system soundness, along with variables reflecting macroeconomic conditions, the structure of the banking system, and the quality of political institutions and public sector governance. The results also indicate that good public sector governance amplifies the impact of regulatory governance on financial system soundness.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1991.
"Anatomy of a Financial Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
3934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew G Haldane & Glenn Hoggarth & Victoria Saporta, 2001. "Assessing financial system stability, efficiency and structure at the Bank of England," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Marrying the macro- and micro-prudential dimensions of financial stability, volume 1, pages 138-159 Bank for International Settlements.
- Udaibir S Das & Marc G Quintyn, 2002. "Crisis Prevention and Crisis Management; The Role of Regulatory Governance," IMF Working Papers 02/163, .
- Christopher Kent & Guy Debelle, 1999. "Trends in the Australian Banking System: Implications for Financial System Stability and Monetary Policy," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp1999-05, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-De-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2002.
"Government Ownership of Banks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 265-301, 02.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-deSilanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1890, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopezde-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," NBER Working Papers 7620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001. "Government Ownership of Banks," Working Paper Series rwp01-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Marc Quintyn & Michael W. Taylor, 2003.
"Regulatory and Supervisory Independence and Financial Stability,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 49(2), pages 259-294.
- Michael W Taylor & Marc G Quintyn, 2002. "Regulatory and Supervisory Independence and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 02/46, .
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian & Francesco Trebbi, 2004.
"Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions Over Geography and Integration in Economic Development,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 131-165, 06.
- Rodrik, Dani & Subramanian, Arvind & Trebbi, Francesco, 2002. "Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions Over Geography and Integration in Economic Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 3643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian & Francesco Trebbi, 2002. "Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions over Geography and Integration in Economic Development," NBER Working Papers 9305, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998.
"Paper Tigers? A Model of the Asian Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
6783, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon M. Potter, 1993.
"A Nonlinear Approach to U.S. GNP,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
693, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Garry J. Schinasi, 2003. "Responsibility of Central Banks for Stability in Financial Markets," IMF Working Papers 03/121, .
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2003.
"Bank Concentration and Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
9921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- International Monetary Fund, 2003. "Cross-Country and Cross-Sector Analysis of Transparency of Monetary and Financial Policies," IMF Working Papers 03/94, .
- Udaibir S Das & Richard Podpiera & Nigel Davies, 2003. "Insurance and Issues in Financial Soundness," IMF Working Papers 03/138, .
- Per G. Fredriksson & Muthukumara Mani & Richard Damania, 2003.
"The Persistence of Corruption and Regulatory Compliance Failures; Theory and Evidence,"
IMF Working Papers
- Richard Damania & Per Fredriksson & Muthukumara Mani, 2004. "The Persistence of Corruption and Regulatory Compliance Failures: Theory and Evidence," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 121(3), pages 363-390, February.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2003. "Monetary stability, financial stability and the business cycle: five views," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 18.
- Andrew D. Crockett, 1997. "Why is financial stability a goal of public policy?," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 7-36.
- R. B. Johnston & Liliana B Schumacher & Jingqing Chai, 2000. "Assessing Financial System Vulnerabilities," IMF Working Papers 00/76, .
- Michael W Taylor & Marc G Quintyn & Eva H. G. HÃ¼pkes, 2005. "The Accountability of Financial Sector Supervisors; Principles and Practice," IMF Working Papers 05/51, .
- John Chant & Alexandra Lai & Mark Illing & Fred Daniel, 2003. "Essays on Financial Stability," Technical Reports 95, Bank of Canada.
- Marco Rossi, 1999. "Financial Fragility and Economic Performance in Developing Economies; Do Capital Controls, Prudential Regulation and Supervision Matter?," IMF Working Papers 99/66, .
- Reinhart, Carmen & Goldstein, Morris & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000. "Assessing financial vulnerability, an early warning system for emerging markets: Introduction," MPRA Paper 13629, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrew D. Crockett, 1997. "Why is financial stability a goal of public policy?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q IV, pages 5-22.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:04/89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.