Foreign Bank Supervision and Challenges to Emerging Market Supervisors
The increased presence of foreign banks in a country's domestic banking system necessitates the development of effective cross-border prudential supervision where the consolidated supervision is the essential element. This paper presents foreign bank supervision in terms of division of responsibilities between the home and host countries, consolidated supervision, quality of home-country supervision, memoranda of understanding (MOUs), and "ringfencing" of banks. A number of challenges which foreign banks bring to emerging market banking supervisors are also discussed. The paper also provides surveys of country cases.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gianni De Nicolo & Mary G. Zephirin & Philip F. Bartholomew & Jahanara Zaman, 2003. "Bank Consolidation, Internationalization, and Conglomeration; Trends and Implications for Financial Risk," IMF Working Papers 03/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Brealey, R. A. & Kaplanis, E. C., 1996. "The determination of foreign banking location," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 577-597, August.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "How does foreign entry affect the domestic banking market?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1918, The World Bank.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2001. "The banking industry in the emerging market economies: competition, consolidation and systemic stability," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 04, June.
- Buch, Claudia M., 1996. "Opening up for foreign banks: Why Central and Eastern Europe can benefit," Kiel Working Papers 763, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 2001. "Financial policies and the prevention of financial crises in emerging market economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2683, The World Bank.
- John Hawkins & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2001. "The banking industry in the emerging market economies: competition, consolidation and systemic stability: an overview," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The banking industry in the emerging market economies: competition, consolidation and systemic stability, volume 4, pages 1-44 Bank for International Settlements.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:04/82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.