Aid and the Dutch Disease in Low-Income Countries; Informed Diagnoses for Prudent Prognoses
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Benjamin, Nancy C. & Devarajan, Shantayanan & Weiner, Robert J., 1989. "The Dutch disease in a developing country : Oil reserves in Cameroon," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 71-92, January.
- Collier, Paul, 1999. "Aid 'Dependency': A Critique," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(4), pages 528-545, December.
- Torvik, Ragnar, 2001. "Learning by doing and the Dutch disease," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 285-306, February.
- R. Lensink & H. White, 2001. "Are There Negative Returns to Aid?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6), pages 42-65.
- William Easterly & Ross Levine & David Roodman, 2003. "New Data, New doubts: A Comment on Burnside and Dollar's "Aid, Policies, and Growth" (2000)," NBER Working Papers 9846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2000. "Aid effectiveness disputed," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 375-398, April.
- Isabell Adenauer & Laurence Vagassky, 1998. "Aid and the real exchange rate: Dutch disease effects in African countries," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 33(4), pages 177-185, July.
- Carl-Johan Dalgaard & Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2004.
"On The Empirics of Foreign Aid and Growth,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(496), pages 191-216, June.
- Carl-Johan Dalgaard & Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2001. "On the Empirics of Foreign Aid and Growth," EPRU Working Paper Series 03-13, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics, revised Sep 2003.
- Dalgaard, Carl-Johan & Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 2002. "On the Empirics of Foreign Aid and Growth," MPRA Paper 63696, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vos, Rob, 1998.
"Aid Flows and "Dutch Disease" in a General Equilibrium Framework for Pakistan,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 77-109, February.
- Vos, R., 1995. "Aid FLows and 'Dutch Disease' in a General Equilibrium Framework for Pakistan," Working Papers - Money, Finance & Development 59, Institute of Social Studies.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim A, 1999. "External Aid: Help or Hindrance to Export Orientation in Africa?," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(4), pages 578-616, December.
- Corden, W M, 1984. "Booming Sector and Dutch Disease Economics: Survey and Consolidation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 359-380, November.
- Nyoni, Timothy S., 1998. "Foreign Aid and Economic Performance in Tanzania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1235-1240, July.
- Younger, Stephen D., 1992. "Aid and the Dutch disease: Macroeconomic management when everybody loves you," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(11), pages 1587-1597, November.
- Auty, Richard M., 2001. "The political state and the management of mineral rents in capital-surplus economies: Botswana and Saudi Arabia," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 77-86, June.
- Harvey, Charles, 1992. "Botswana: Is the Economic Miracle Over?," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 1(3), pages 335-368, November.
- White, Howard & Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 1992. "Exchange rates, trade liberalization and aid: The Sri Lankan experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(10), pages 1471-1480, October.
- William Easterly, 2003. "Can Foreign Aid Buy Growth?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 23-48, Summer.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4066 is not listed on IDEAS
- Katerina Kalcheva & Nienke Oomes, 2007. "Diagnosing Dutch Disease; Does Russia Have the Symptoms?," IMF Working Papers 07/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Benedicte Vibe Christensen, 2010. "China in Africa: A Macroeconomic Perspective," Working Papers id:3169, eSocialSciences.
- Eun K Choi, 2005. "Infrastructure Aid, Deindustrialization, and Welfare," IMF Working Papers 05/150, International Monetary Fund.
- Pilar Poncela & Eva Senra & Lya Paola Sierra, 2017. "Long-term links between raw materials prices, real exchange rate and relative de-industrialization in a commodity-dependent economy: empirical evidence of “Dutch disease” in Colombia," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 52(2), pages 777-798, March.
- Aaron Mehrotra & Jouko Rautava, 2008.
"Do sentiment indicators help to assess and predict actual developments of the Chinese economy?,"
Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 225-239.
- Mehrotra, Aaron & Rautava, Jouko, 2007. "Do sentiment indicators help to assess and predict actual developments of the Chinese economy?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 11/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Aliyu Rafindadi Sanusi, 2011. "Foreign Aid Inflows and the Real Exchange Rate: Are There Dutch Disease Effects in Ghana?," The IUP Journal of Financial Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(4), pages 28-59, December.
- Eduardo Haddad & Ana Carolina Giuberti, 2011. "Economic Impacts of Pre-Salt on a Regional Economy: The Case of Espirito Santo, Brazil," ERSA conference papers ersa10p156, European Regional Science Association.
- Agénor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2008.
"Roads out of poverty? Assessing the links between aid, public investment, growth, and poverty reduction,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 277-295, June.
- Pierre Richard AGÉNOR & Nihal BAYRAKTAR & Karim EL AYNAOUI, "undated". "Roads out of Poverty? Assessing the Link between Aid, Public Investment, Growth and Poverty Reduction," EcoMod2004 330600003, EcoMod.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2005. "Roads out of poverty? assessing the links between aid, public investment, growth, and poverty reduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3490, The World Bank.
- Pedro M. G. Martins, 2010. "Do Capital Inflows Hinder Competitiveness? The Real Exchange Rate in Ethiopia," Working Paper Series 1110, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Selaya, Pablo & Thiele, Rainer, 2008. "Aid and sectoral labour productivity," Kiel Working Papers 1468, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Li, Ying & Rowe, Francis, 2007. "Aid inflows and the real effective exchange rate in Tanzania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4456, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2007. "An Assessment of the Investment Climate in Botswana, Volume 2. Detailed Results and Econometric Analysis," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7747, The World Bank.
- Terry McKinley, 2005. "Why is ?The Dutch disease? always a disease? the macroeconomic consequences of scaling up ODA," Working Papers 10, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Sandrine Kablan & Josef Loening & Yasuhiro Tanaka, 2014. "Is Chad Affected by Dutch or Nigerian Disease?," Journal of Empirical Economics, Research Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 3(5), pages 278-295.
- Nuno Baetas da Silva & João Sousa Andrade & António Portugal Duarte, 2016. "Alternative Sources of Dutch Disease: A Survey of the Literature," GEMF Working Papers 2016-10, GEMF, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra.
- Haddad Eduardo Amaral & Giuberti Ana Carolina, 2014.
"Economic impacts of natural resources on a regional economy: the case of the pre-salt oil discoveries in Espirito Santo, Brazil,"
CyberLeninka;Федеральное государственное бюджетное учреждение науки «Институт экономики Уральского отделения Российской академии наук», issue 1, pages 111-124.
- Eduardo Amaral Haddad & Ana Carolina Giuberti, 2014. "Economic impacts of natural resources on a regional economy: the case of the pre-salt oil discoveries in Espirito Santo, Brazil," Economy of region, Centre for Economic Security, Institute of Economics of Ural Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, vol. 1(1), pages 111-124.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky & Serpil Tekin & Valerie Cerra, 2008. "Foreign Aid and Real Exchange Rate Adjustments in a Financially Constrained Dependent Economy," IMF Working Papers 08/204, International Monetary Fund.
- John Serieux, 2007. "Managing the Exchange Rate Consequences of an MDG-Related Scale-up in HIV/AIDS Financing," Conference Paper 1, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- João Sousa Andrade & António Portugal Duarte, 2013. "The Dutch Disease in the Portuguese Economy," GEMF Working Papers 2013-05, GEMF, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra.
- Ben Naceur, Sami & Bakardzhieva, Damyana & Kamar, Bassem, 2012. "Disaggregated Capital Flows and Developing Countries’ Competitiveness," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 223-237.
- Sanyal, Prabuddha & Babu, Suresh, 2008. "Aid effectiveness and capacity development: Implications for economic growth in developing countries," IFPRI discussion papers 838, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mwanza Nkusu, 2004. "Financing Uganda'S Poverty Reduction Strategy; Is Aid Causing More Pain Than Gain?," IMF Working Papers 04/170, International Monetary Fund.
- ZARZOSA VALDIVIA, Fernando Enrique, 2006. "Income distribution, Dutch disease and real exchange rate movements," Working Papers 2006033, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Oomes, Nienke & Kalcheva, Katerina, 2007. "Diagnosing Dutch disease : Does Russia have the symptoms?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
More about this item
KeywordsEconomic growth; Development assistance; Foreign aid; Exchange Rate; and Poverty; dutch disease; real exchange rate; foreign exchange; exchange rates; Economic Growth of Open Economies; Welfare and Poverty: General; Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity: General;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:04/49. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/imfffus.html .