Foreign Exchange Market Organization in Selected Developing and Transition Economies; Evidence From a Survey
The foreign exchange market microstructures in developing and transition economies are characterized by the results from the IMF's 2001 Survey on Foreign Exchange Market Organization. The survey found that these markets are usually unified onshore spot markets for U.S. dollars, where transactions are concentrated at the bank-customer level. The trading mechanisms are usually dealer or mixed dealer/auction markets; the degree of transparency is often low; settlement systems remain risky; and the scope for price discovery is variable.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hau, Harald & Killeen, William & Moore, Michael J, 2000. "The Euro as an International Currency: Explaining Puzzling First Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2510, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn, 2000.
"Currency Traders and Exchange Rate Dynamics: A Survey of the U.S. Market,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
251, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Chinn, Menzie David, 2001. "Currency traders and exchange rate dynamics: a survey of the US market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 439-471, August.
- Madhavan, Ananth, 2000. "Market microstructure: A survey," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-258, August.
- Kumar Venkataraman, 2001. "Automated Versus Floor Trading: An Analysis of Execution Costs on the Paris and New York Exchanges," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(4), pages 1445-1485, 08.
- Jorge IvÃ¡n Canales Kriljenko, 2003. "Foreign Exchange Intervention in Developing and Transition Economies; Results of a Survey," IMF Working Papers 03/95, International Monetary Fund.
- Flood, Mark D., 1994.
"Market structure and inefficiency in the foreign exchange market,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 131-158, April.
- Mark D. Flood, 1993. "Market structure and inefficiency in the foreign exchange market," Working Papers 1991-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Arto Kovanen, 1994. "Foreign Exchange Auctions and Fixing; A Review of Performance," IMF Working Papers 94/119, International Monetary Fund.
- World Bank & International Monetory Fund, 2001. "Developing Government Bond Markets : A Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13865.
- Carlo Cottarelli & Leonardo Bartolini, 1994. "Treasury Bill Auctions; Issues and Uses," IMF Working Papers 94/135, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Dattels, 1995. "The Microstructure of Government Securities Markets," IMF Working Papers 95/117, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:04/4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.