Fiscal Sustainability in Heavily Indebted Countries Dependenton Nonrenewable Resources; The Case of Gabon
This paper proposes a framework for assessing fiscal sustainability in heavily indebted countries dependent on exhaustible resources, with reference to Gabon. It finds that fiscal sustainability could be achieved by: (i) developing a fiscal rule for the non-oil primary fiscal balance compatible with an objective for reducing the debt-to-non-oil GDP ratio; (ii) introducing a constant oil-based income transfer per capita allowing intergenerational equity; and (iii) building up an oil savings fund. Long-term simulations show that Gabon's fiscal position is fragile and that a fiscal policy path consistent with the proposed framework could help achieve comfortable levels of net wealth.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engel, Eduardo & Valdés, Rodrigo O., 2001.
"Optimal fiscal strategy for oil exporting countries,"
Sede de la CEPAL en Santiago (Estudios e Investigaciones)
34818, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Rodrigo Valdés, 2000. "Optimal Fiscal Strategy for Oil Exporting Countries," Documentos de Trabajo 78, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Rodrigo O. Valdes & Eduardo M Engel, 2000. "Optimal Fiscal Strategy for Oil Exporting Countries," IMF Working Papers 00/118, .
- Arvind Subramanian & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2003.
"Addressing the Natural Resource Curse; An Illustration From Nigeria,"
IMF Working Papers
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin & Arvind Subramanian, 2013. "Addressing the Natural Resource Curse: An Illustration from Nigeria," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 22(4), pages 570-615, August.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin & Arvind Subramanian, 2003. "Addressing the Natural Resource Curse: An Illustration from Nigeria," NBER Working Papers 9804, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martín & Arvind Subramanian, 2003. "Addressing the natural resource curse: An illustration from Nigeria," Economics Working Papers 685, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2004.
"Debt intolerance: Executive summary,"
13398, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nigel A Chalk, 1998. "Fiscal Sustainability with Non-Renewable Resources," IMF Working Papers 98/26, .
- Catherine Pattillo & Hélène Poirson & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2011.
"External Debt and Growth,"
Review of Economics and Institutions,
Università di Perugia, vol. 2(3).
- Diep Nuven, 1994. "Linkages in Price Level and Inflation Rate Between Cfa Franc Zone Countries and France," IMF Working Papers 94/93, .
- Axel Schimmelpfennig & Nouriel Roubini & Paolo Manasse, 2003. "Predicting Sovereign Debt Crises," IMF Working Papers 03/221, .
- Thomas Baunsgaard, 2003. "Fiscal Policy in Nigeria; Any Role for Rules?," IMF Working Papers 03/155, .
- Willem H. Buiter, 1997.
"Aspects of fiscal performance in some transition economies under fund-supported programs,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20353, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- W.H. Buiter, 1997. "Aspects of Fiscal Performance in Some Transition Economies Under Fund-Supported Programs," CEP Discussion Papers dp0333, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1997. "Aspects of Fiscal Performance in Some Transition Economies Under Fund-Supported Programs," IMF Working Papers 97/31, .
- Buiter, Willem H., 1996. "Aspects of Fiscal Performance in some Transition Economies under Fund-supported Programs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1535, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Gerson, 1998. "The Impact of Fiscal Policy Variables on Output Growth," IMF Working Papers 98/1, .
- Kadima D. Kalonji & Boileau Loko & Raj Nallari & Montfort Mlachila, 2003. "The Impact of External Indebtednesson Poverty in Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 03/61, .
- Theodore M. Barnhill & George Kopits, 2003. "Assessing Fiscal Sustainability Under Uncertainity," IMF Working Papers 03/79, .
- M. O. Odedokun, 1997. "Dynamics of inflation in Sub-Saharan Africa: the role of foreign inflation, official and parallel market exchange rates, and monetary growth," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 395-402.
- Enzo Croce & V. Hugo Juan-Ramon, 2003. "Assessing Fiscal Sustainability; A Cross-Country Comparison," IMF Working Papers 03/145, .
- Qing Wang & Ugo Fasano-Filho, 2002. "Testing the Relationship Between Government Spending and Revenue; Evidence From GCC Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/201, .
- Max Alier & Martin D Kaufman, 1999. "Nonrenewable Resources; A Case for Persistent Fiscal Surpluses," IMF Working Papers 99/44, .
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:04/30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.