Pension Funds and Emerging Markets
This paper focuses on the investment behavior of pension funds in developed and emerging market countries. First, it analyzes the main determinants of the emerging market asset allocation of pension funds in developed countries. Second, it assesses how pension funds in emerging markets have contributed to the development of local securities markets. Third, it analyzes the determinants of pension funds' investment performance. The paper concludes with a discussion of why the emerging market asset allocation of pension funds in developed countries is likely to increase and what the challenges faced by pension funds in emerging markets are.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Rother, P.C. & Catenaro, M. & Schwab, G., 2003. "Ageing and pensions in the Euro Area Survey and projection results," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 25986, The World Bank.
- David Blake, 1999. "Portfolio Choice Models of Pension Funds and Life Assurance Companies: Similarities and Differences," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(3), pages 327-357, July.
- Rother Philipp & Catenaro Marco & Schwab Gerhard, .
"Ageing and Pensions in the Euro Area,"
- Holzmann, Robert & Mac Arthur, Ian W. & Sin, Yvonne, 2000. "Pension systems in East Asia and the Pacific : challenges and opportunities," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 23088, The World Bank.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Bodie, Zvi & Merton, Robert C., 2002. "International pension swaps," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 77-83, March.
- Alfredo Cuevas & George A. Mackenzie & Philip R. Gerson, 1997. "Pension Regimes and Saving," IMF Occasional Papers 153, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:04/181. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.