Are Developing Countries Better Off Spending Their Oil Wealth Upfront?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989. "Is public expenditure productive?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1990.
"Private investment and economic growth in developing countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 19-27, January.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Khan, Mohsin, 1989. "Private investment and economic growth in developing countries," MPRA Paper 13655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Clark A. Burdick, 1997. "A transitional analysis of the welfare cost of inflation," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 97-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Kneller, Richard & Bleaney, Michael F. & Gemmell, Norman, 1999. "Fiscal policy and growth: evidence from OECD countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 171-190, November.
- Nigel James Miller & Christopher Tsoukis, 2001. "On the optimality of public capital for long-run economic growth: evidence from panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(9), pages 1117-1129.
- Paul Cashin, 1995. "Government Spending, Taxes, and Economic Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(2), pages 237-269, June.
- Khan, Mohsin S & Kumar, Manmohan S, 1997. "Public and Private Investment and the Growth Process in Developing Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(1), pages 69-88, February.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tsani, Stella, 2013. "Natural resources, governance and institutional quality: The role of resource funds," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 181-195.
- Christine J. Richmond & Irene Yackovlev & Susan S. Yang, 2013. "Investing Volatile Oil Revenues in Capital-Scarce Economies; An Application to Angola," IMF Working Papers 13/147, International Monetary Fund.
- Jan-Peter Olters & Daniel Leigh, 2006. "Natural-Resource Depletion, Habit Formation, and Sustainable Fiscal Policy; Lessons from Gabon," IMF Working Papers 06/193, International Monetary Fund.
- Toto Same, Achille, 2008. "Mineral-rich countries and dutch disease : understanding the macroeconomic implications of windfalls and the development prospects-the case of Equatorial Guinea," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4595, The World Bank.
- Cherif, Reda & Hasanov, Fuad, 2013.
"Oil Exporters’ Dilemma: How Much to Save and How Much to Invest,"
Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 120-131.
- Reda Cherif & Fuad Hasanov, 2012. "Oil Exporters' Dilemma; How Much to Save and How Much to Invest," IMF Working Papers 12/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Toto Same, Achille, 2009. "Transforming natural resource wealth into sustained growth and poverty reduction : a conceptual framework for Sub-Saharan African oil exporting countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4852, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2013. "Repbulic of Chad Poverty Notes : Dynamics of Poverty and Inequality following the Rise of the Oil Sector," World Bank Other Operational Studies 19322, The World Bank.
- Jan-Peter Olters, 2007. "Old Curses, New Approaches? Fiscal Benchmarks for Oil-Producing Countries in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 07/107, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Wierts & Guido Schotten, 2008. "Dutch natural Gas Revenues and Fiscal Policy: Theory versus Practice," DNB Occasional Studies 605, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Xin Xu & Ahmed El-Ashram & Judith Gold, 2015. "Too Much of a Good Thing? Prudent Management of Inflows under Economic Citizenship Programs," IMF Working Papers 15/93, International Monetary Fund.
- Jiří Sýkora, 2013. "Oil in Timor-Leste: A Ticket to Prosperity?," Acta Oeconomica Pragensia, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2013(3), pages 68-85.
- Antonio Spilimbergo, 2007.
"Measuring the Performance of Fiscal Policy in Russia,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(6), pages 25-44, November.
- Antonio Spilimbergo, 2005. "Measuring the Performance of Fiscal Policy in Russia," IMF Working Papers 05/241, International Monetary Fund.
- Torfinn Harding & Frederick Van der Ploeg, 2009. "Is Norway's Bird-in-Hand Stabilization Fund Prudent Enough? Fiscal Reactions to Hydrocarbon Windfalls and Graying Populations," CESifo Working Paper Series 2830, CESifo Group Munich.
- Christine Richmond & Irene Yackovlev & Shu-Chun S. Yang, 2015. "Investing Volatile Resource Revenues in Capital-Scarce Economies," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 193-221, February.
- Alonso A Segura Vasi, 2006. "Management of Oil Wealth Under the Permanent Income Hypothesis; The Case of São Tomé and Príncipe," IMF Working Papers 06/183, International Monetary Fund.
- Araujo, Juliana D. & Li, Bin Grace & Poplawski-Ribeiro, Marcos & Zanna, Luis-Felipe, 2016.
"Current account norms in natural resource rich and capital scarce economies,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 144-156.
- Juliana Dutra Araujo & Grace B Li & Marcos Poplawski-Ribeiro & Luis-Felipe Zanna, 2013. "Current Account Norms in Natural Resource Rich and Capital Scarce Economies," IMF Working Papers 13/80, International Monetary Fund.
- Toto Same, Achille, 2008. "Windfall management for poverty reduction : improving public finance Management-the case of Chad," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4596, The World Bank.
- Keyra Primus, 2016. "Fiscal Rules for Resource Windfall Allocation; The Case of Trinidad and Tobago," IMF Working Papers 16/188, International Monetary Fund.
- Jens R Clausen, 2008. "Calculating Sustainable Non-mineral Balances as Benchmarks for Fiscal Policy; The Case of Botswana," IMF Working Papers 08/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Stéphane Carcillo & Mauricio Villafuerte & Daniel Leigh, 2007. "Catch-Up Growth, Habits, Oil Depletion, and Fiscal Policy; Lessons from the Republic of Congo," IMF Working Papers 07/80, International Monetary Fund.
- Issouf Samaké & Priscilla S Muthoora & Bruno Versailles, 2013. "Fiscal Sustainability, Public Investment, and Growth in Natural Resource-Rich, Low-Income Countries; The Case of Cameroon," IMF Working Papers 13/144, International Monetary Fund.
- Jean-Luc Hélis & Teresa Daban Sanchez, 2010. "A Public Financial Management Framework for Resources-Producing Countries," IMF Working Papers 10/72, International Monetary Fund.
More about this item
KeywordsFiscal policy; Public investment; Optimal fiscal policy; transitional growth; natural resource; government spending; budget constraint; fiscal balance; private consumption; Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Development;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2005-10-22 (Development)
- NEP-ENE-2005-10-22 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2005-10-22 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2005-10-22 (Public Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:04/141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/imfffus.html .