Job-Specific Investment and the Cost of Dismissal Restrictions; The Case of Portugal
Using a search and matching labor market equilibrium model, this paper quantifies lost labor productivity and consumption per worker that emerges from the restrictions on dismissals. Dismissal restrictions hamper the efficient reallocation of workers, with workers remaining longer in jobs. But the restrictions also tend to induce job-specific investments. A calibration exercise applied to Portugal suggests that the restrictions on dismissal slow the pace of worker reallocation and cause substantial losses of labor productivity and consumption. Although lower worker mobility induces job-specific investment that offsets part of the labor productivity and consumption losses, the size of this offsetting effect is, at most, modest.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htmEmail:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedro Portugal & Olivier Blanchard, 2001. "What Hides Behind an Unemployment Rate: Comparing Portuguese and U.S. Labor Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 187-207, March.
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1999.
"Job Reallocation, Employment Fluctuations and Unemployment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0421, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale T. & Pissarides, Christopher A., 1999. "Job reallocation, employment fluctuations and unemployment," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 18, pages 1171-1228 Elsevier.
- Belot, M.V.K. & Boone, J. & Ours, J.C. van, 2002. "Welfare Effects of Employment Protection," Discussion Paper 2002-48, .
- Olympia Bover & Pilar García-Perea & Pedro Portugal, 2000. "Labour market outliers: Lessons from Portugal and Spain," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(31), pages 379-428, October.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Hogan, Seamus & Ragan, Christopher, 1998. "Job security with equilibrium unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 185-185, June.
- van Ours, J. C., 1991. "The Efficiency of the Dutch Labour Market in Matching Unemployment and Vacancies," Other publications TiSEM 4bbea82e-68fb-45e0-b32a-3, School of Economics and Management.
- Belot, M.V.K. & Boone, J. & van Ours, J.C., 2002.
"Welfare Effects of Employment Protection,"
2002-48, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-142205 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:03/75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.