The New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD) Opportunities and Challenges
This paper reviews major issues involved in achieving the objectives of the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD). Using a simple framework for evaluation, the analysis highlights considerations relevant to policymakers in the areas of poverty reduction, macroeconomic policies, trade promotion, attracting capital flows, and governance and institutional reforms. The analysis also identifies risks involved in achieving NEPAD's objectives. To minimize these risks, it will be important to make some goals more operational, to further broaden and deepen stakeholder participation, to establish a sound basis for monitoring progress, to prepare contingency plans, and to harmonize the role of regional institutions with NEPAD initiatives.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arvind Subramanian & Aaditya Mattoo & Devesh Roy, 2002.
"The Africa Growth and Opportunity Act and its Rules of Origin; Generosity Undermined?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Aaditya Mattoo & Devesh Roy & Arvind Subramanian, 2003. "The Africa Growth and Opportunity Act and its Rules of Origin: Generosity Undermined?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(6), pages 829-851, 06.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Roy, Devesh & Subramanian, Arvind, 2002. "The Africa Growth and Opportunity Act and its rules of origin : generosity undermined?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2908, The World Bank.
- Andrew Feltenstein & Saleh M. Nsouli, 2001. "â€œBig Bangâ€ Versus Gradualism in Economic Reforms; An Intertemporal Analysis with an Application to China," IMF Working Papers 01/98, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002.
"Moreon the Effectiveness of Public Spendingon Health Care and Education; A Covariance Structure Model,"
IMF Working Papers
02/90, International Monetary Fund.
- Emanuele Baldacci & Maria Teresa Guin-Siu & Luiz De Mello, 2003. "More on the effectiveness of public spending on health care and education: a covariance structure model," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 709-725.
- Michael Mussa & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Barry J. Eichengreen & Enrica Detragiache, 1998. "Capital Account Liberalization; Theoretical and Practical Aspects," IMF Occasional Papers 172, International Monetary Fund.
- Anupam Basu & Krishna Srinivasan, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment in Africaâ€”Some Case Studies," IMF Working Papers 02/61, International Monetary Fund.
- Reza Baqir, 2002. "Social Sector Spending in a Panel of Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/35, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, "undated". "Fundamental Determinants of Output per Worker across Countries," Working Papers 97021, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Catherine A Pattillo & Taye Mengistae, 2002.
"Export Orientation and Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
IMF Working Papers
02/89, International Monetary Fund.
- Taye Mengistae & Catherine Pattillo, 2004. "Export Orientation and Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(2), pages 6-6.
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Senhadji, Abdelhak S. & Smith, Bruce D., 2006.
"Inflation And Financial Depth,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 165-182, April.
- Dhaneshwar Ghura & Anupam Basu & Anthony E Calamitsis, 2000. "Promoting Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa; Learning What Works," IMF Economic Issues 23, International Monetary Fund.
- Benedict J. Clements & Sanjeev Gupta & Emanuele Baldacci & Carlos Mulas-Granados, 2002. "Expenditure Composition, Fiscal Adjustment, and Growth in Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/77, International Monetary Fund.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2001. "Capital Mobility and Economic Performance: Are Emerging Economies Different?," NBER Working Papers 8076, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Sunil Sharma, 2001. "IMF Conditionality and Country Ownership of Programs," IMF Working Papers 01/142, International Monetary Fund.
- Norbert Funke & Nicola Fuchs-SchÃ¼ndeln, 2001. "Stock Market Liberalizations; Financial and Macroeconomic Implications," IMF Working Papers 01/193, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:03/69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.