The New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD) Opportunities and Challenges
This paper reviews major issues involved in achieving the objectives of the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD). Using a simple framework for evaluation, the analysis highlights considerations relevant to policymakers in the areas of poverty reduction, macroeconomic policies, trade promotion, attracting capital flows, and governance and institutional reforms. The analysis also identifies risks involved in achieving NEPAD's objectives. To minimize these risks, it will be important to make some goals more operational, to further broaden and deepen stakeholder participation, to establish a sound basis for monitoring progress, to prepare contingency plans, and to harmonize the role of regional institutions with NEPAD initiatives.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohsin S. Khan & Sunil Sharma, 2001. "IMF Conditionality and Country Ownership of Programs," IMF Working Papers 01/142, .
- Norbert Funke & Nicola Fuchs-SchÃ¼ndeln, 2001. "Stock Market Liberalizations; Financial and Macroeconomic Implications," IMF Working Papers 01/193, .
- Reza Baqir, 2002. "Social Sector Spending in a Panel of Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/35, .
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Roy, Devesh & Subramanian, Arvind, 2002.
"The Africa Growth and Opportunity Act and its rules of origin : generosity undermined?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2908, The World Bank.
- Aaditya Mattoo & Devesh Roy & Arvind Subramanian, 2003. "The Africa Growth and Opportunity Act and its Rules of Origin: Generosity Undermined?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(6), pages 829-851, 06.
- Arvind Subramanian & Aaditya Mattoo & Devesh Roy, 2002. "The Africa Growth and Opportunity Act and its Rules of Origin; Generosity Undermined?," IMF Working Papers 02/158, .
- Andrew Feltenstein & Saleh M. Nsouli, 2001. "â€œBig Bangâ€ Versus Gradualism in Economic Reforms; An Intertemporal Analysis with an Application to China," IMF Working Papers 01/98, .
- Taye Mengistae & Catherine Pattillo, 2004.
"Export Orientation and Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(2), pages 1-6.
- Catherine A Pattillo & Taye Mengistae, 2002. "Export Orientation and Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 02/89, .
- Anupam Basu & Krishna Srinivasan, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment in Africaâ€”Some Case Studies," IMF Working Papers 02/61, .
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Senhadji, Abdelhak S. & Smith, Bruce D., 2006.
"Inflation And Financial Depth,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 165-182, April.
- Emanuele Baldacci & Maria Teresa Guin-Siu & Luiz De Mello, 2003.
"More on the effectiveness of public spending on health care and education: a covariance structure model,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 709-725.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Moreon the Effectiveness of Public Spendingon Health Care and Education; A Covariance Structure Model," IMF Working Papers 02/90, .
- Dhaneshwar Ghura & Anupam Basu & Anthony E Calamitsis, 2000. "Promoting Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa; Learning What Works," IMF Economic Issues 23, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Mussa & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Barry J. Eichengreen & Enrica Detragiache, 1998. "Capital Account Liberalization; Theoretical and Practical Aspects," IMF Occasional Papers 172, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, "undated". "Fundamental Determinants of Output per Worker across Countries," Working Papers 97021, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Benedict J. Clements & Sanjeev Gupta & Emanuele Baldacci & Carlos Mulas-Granados, 2002. "Expenditure Composition, Fiscal Adjustment, and Growth in Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/77, .
- Sebastian Edwards, 2001. "Capital Mobility and Economic Performance: Are Emerging Economies Different?," NBER Working Papers 8076, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:03/69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.