Patterns of Shocks and Regional Monetary Cooperation in South Asia
The member states of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation have set as a target the achievement of an economic union by 2020. Reaching this goal will require greater levels of monetary cooperation. How should this be achieved? Data from South Asia suggest that member states have minor trade linkages and face asymmetrical patterns of shocks. This paper concludes that, absent a clear road map for monetary cooperation, the present process must be structured so as to be harmonized with the level of regional economic integration.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tamim Bayoumi & Paolo Mauro, 2001.
"The Suitability of ASEAN for a Regional Currency Arrangement,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(7), pages 933-954, 07.
- Paolo Mauro & Tamim Bayoumi, 1999. "The Suitability of ASEAN for a Regional Currency Arrangement," IMF Working Papers 99/162, .
- Bayoumi, T. & Eichengreen, B., 1994. "One Money or Many? Analysing the Prospects for Monetary Unification in Various Parts of the World," Princeton Studies in International Economics 76, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Karras, Georgios & Stokes, Houston H., 2001. "Time-varying criteria for monetary integration: evidence from the EMU," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 171-185.
- Matangi Maskay, Nephil, 1998. "A Comment on Empirical Estimation of Patterns of Shocks Utilizing the VAR Methodology on Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 13, pages 544-548.
- C. Randall Henning, 2002.
"East Asian Financial Cooperation,"
Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa68, July.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Ostry, Jonathan D, 1997.
"Macroeconomic Shocks and Trade Flows within Sub-Saharan Africa: Implications for Optimum Currency Arrangements,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 6(3), pages 412-444, October.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Jonathan David Ostry, 1995. "Macroeconomic Shocks and Trade Flows within Sub-Saharan Africa; Implications for Optimum Currency Arrangements," IMF Working Papers 95/142, .
- Akhtar Akhtar Hossain, 2002. "Exchange Rate Responses to Inflation in Bangladesh," IMF Working Papers 02/166, .
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-1025, July.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," NBER Working Papers 5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Khan, Saleem M. & Khan, Zahira S., 2003. "Asian economic integration: a perspective on South Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 767-785, January.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry & Mauro, Paolo, 2000.
"On Regional Monetary Arrangements for ASEAN,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 121-148, June.
- World Bank, 2002. "World Development Indicators 2002," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13921.
- Catherine A Pattillo & Paul R Masson, 2001. "Monetary Union in West Africa (ECOWAS)," IMF Occasional Papers 204, International Monetary Fund.
- George Tavlas, 1994. "The theory of monetary integration," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 211-230, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:03/240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.