Company Pension Plans, Stock Market Returns, and Labor Demand
With asset values falling sharply in recent years, many companies around the world are under pressure to restore the solvency of their defined-benefit pension plans. Will this lead to higher contributions? Will higher contributions increase labor costs and reduce employment? Does this mechanism exacerbate economic downturns? What are the economic effects of pension fund regulation? This paper develops a theoretical model to address these questions. Although its scope is more general, the model captures the main institutional features of the pension system in the Netherlands, a country where the economic effects of the pension shock are widely debated.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Carey, 2002. "Coping with Population Ageing in the Netherlands," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 325, OECD Publishing.
- Jeroen J. M. Kremers, 2002. "Pension Reform: Issues in the Netherlands," NBER Chapters, in: Social Security Pension Reform in Europe, pages 291-316 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gustman, A.L. & Mitchell, O.S. & Steinmeier, T.L., 1993.
"The Role of Pensions in the Labor Market,"
93-07, Cornell - Center for Advanced Human Resource Studies.
- Julia Lynn Coronado & Steven A. Sharpe, 2003.
"Did Pension Plan Accounting Contribute to a Stock Market Bubble?,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(1), pages 323-371.
- Julia Lynn Coronado & Steven A. Sharpe, 2003. "Did pension plan accounting contribute to a stock market bubble?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-38, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bodie, Zvi, 1990.
"Pensions as Retirement Income Insurance,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 28(1), pages 28-49, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:03/222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.