The Costs and Benefits of Various Wage Bargaining Structures; An Empirical Exploration
The literature on the relationship between the unemployment rate and wage bargaining fails to separate the offsetting effects of a reduction in competition associated with centralized bargaining and the increased awareness of unemployment externalities. This paper uses OECD data to distinguish these effects. While wages have become more sensitive to changes in the unemployment rate in countries that have switched to centralized wage-bargaining arrangements, the industry wage is not particularly sensitive to internal factors (relative price and productivity shifts) in economies with centralized/industry-level bargaining arrangements. The latter effect dominates in terms of persistently high unemployment and weaker growth.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:hhs:iuiwop:529 is not listed on IDEAS
- Steven J. Davis & Magnus Henrekson, 2000.
"Wage-Setting Institutions as Industrial Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
7502, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Davis, Steven J., 2000. "Wage-Setting Institutions as Industrial Policy," Working Paper Series 529, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Davis, Steven J. & Henrekson, Magnus, 2000. "Wage-setting Institutions as Industrial Policy," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 352, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 05 Aug 2003.
- Blau, Francine D & Kahn, Lawrence M, 1996.
"International Differences in Male Wage Inequality: Institutions versus Market Forces,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 791-836, August.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 1994. "International Differences in Male Wage Inequality: Institutions versus Market Forces," NBER Working Papers 4678, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calmfors, Lars, 1993.
"Lessons from the macroeconomic experience of Sweden,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 25-72, March.
- Calmfors, L., 1992. "Lessons from the Macroeconomic Experience of Sweden," Papers 522, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Cukierman, A. & Lippi, F., 1998.
"Central Bank Independence, Centralization of Wage Bargaining, Inflation and Unemployment - Theory and Some Evidence,"
1998-116, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Cukierman, Alex & Lippi, Francesco, 1999. "Central bank independence, centralization of wage bargaining, inflation and unemployment:: Theory and some evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 1395-1434, June.
- Rodseth,A. & Nymoen,R., 1999. "Nordic wage formation and unemployment seven years later," Memorandum 10/1999, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen J & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1990.
"Insider Forces and Wage Determination,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 496-509, June.
- Nickell, S. & Wadhwani, S., 1989. "Insider Forces And Wage Determination," Economics Series Working Papers 9972, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Nickell, S. & Wadhwani, S., 1989. "Insider Forces And Wage Determination," Papers 334, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen & Wadhwani, Sushil B, 1989. "Insider Forces and Wage Determination," CEPR Discussion Papers 310, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Moene, K.O. & Wallerstein, M. & Hoel, M., 1992. "Bargaining Structure and Economic Performance," Memorandum 10/1992, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Guzzo, Vincenzo & Velasco, Andres, 1999. "The case for a populist Central Banker," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 1317-1344, June.
- Hibbs Jr., Douglas A. & Locking, Håkan, 2000.
"Wage Dispersion and Productive Efficiency: Evidence For Sweden,"
Working Papers in Economics
21, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Hibbs, Douglas A, Jr & Locking, Hakan, 2000. "Wage Dispersion and Productive Efficiency: Evidence for Sweden," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(4), pages 755-82, October.
- International Monetary Fund, 1999.
"Neglected Heterogeneity and Dynamics in Cross-Country Savings Regressions,"
IMF Working Papers
99/128, International Monetary Fund.
- Haque, N. U. & Pesaran, M. H. & Sharma, Sunil, 1999. "Neglected Heterogeneity and Dynamics in Cross-country Savings Regressions," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9904, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Pischke, Jorn-Steffen, 2000.
"Certification of training and training outcomes,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 917-927, May.
- Per-Anders Edin & Bertil Holmlund, 1995.
"The Swedish Wage Structure: The Rise and Fall of Solidarity Wage Policy?,"
in: Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, pages 307-344
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Per-Anders Edin & Bertl Holmlund, 1993. "The Swedish Wage Stucture: The Rise and Fall of Solidarity Wage Policy?," NBER Working Papers 4257, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stéphanie Guichard & Jean-Pierre Laffargue, 2000. "The Wage Curve: The Lessons of an Estimation Over a Panel of Countries," Working Papers 2000-21, CEPII research center.
- Robert J. Flanagan, 1999. "Macroeconomic Performance and Collective Bargaining: An International Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1150-1175, September.
- Holden, Steinar, 1994. "Wage bargaining and nominal rigidities," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1021-1039, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:02/71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.