Central American Tax Reform: Trends and Possibilities
Central American tax systems are modern in their orientation, though there remains scope for beneficial reform. Value-added taxes are the mainstay of collections, but their performance varies. Income and property taxes remain relatively underused and should apply to higher income taxpayers more comprehensively. Tax reform needs to be mindful of global competition. Continuing improvement in administrative performance is also essential.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parthasrathi Shome, 1999. "Taxation in Latin America: Structural Trends and Impact of Administration," IMF Working Papers 99/19, International Monetary Fund.
- SimÃ³n Cueva & Stephen Tokarick & Erik J. LundbÃ¤ck & Janet Gale Stotsky & Samuel P. Itam, 2000. "Developments and Challenges in the Caribbean Region," IMF Occasional Papers 201, International Monetary Fund.
- Tanzi, Vito & Zee, Howell H., 2000.
"Tax Policy for Emerging Markets: Developing Countries,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 53(n. 2), pages 299-322, June.
- Howell H. Zee & Vito Tanzi, 2000. "Tax Policy for Emerging Markets: Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 00/35, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Keen, 1993. "The welfare economics of tax co-ordination in the European Community : a survey," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 15-36, February.
- Zee, Howell H. & Stotsky, Janet G. & Ley, Eduardo, 2002. "Tax Incentives for Business Investment: A Primer for Policy Makers in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1497-1516, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:02/227. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.