The Economics of Post Conflict Aid
Post conflict aid is different from conventional development aid and has different effects on the recipient economy. The paper builds a theoretical model tailored around the main stylized facts of post conflict aid and traces the impact of different kinds of post-conflict aid on capital accumulation, growth, welfare, and resource allocation. While both humanitarian and reconstruction aid are welfare-enhancing, humanitarian aid reduces long-run capital accumulation and growth. Reconstruction aid, on the other hand, may increase the long-run capital stock and, if carefully designed, avoid the pitfalls of the Dutch disease.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dollar, David & Easterly, William, 1999.
"The search for the key : aid, investment, and policies in Africa,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2070, The World Bank.
- Dollar, David & Easterly, William, 1999. "The Search for the Key: Aid, Investment and Policies in Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(4), pages 546-77, December.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J. & Fisher, Walter H., 1995. "The composition of government expenditure and its consequences for macroeconomic performance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 747-786, May.
- Michaely, Michael, 1981. "Foreign aid, economic structure, and dependence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 313-330, December.
- Gang, Ira N. & Ali Khan, Haider, 1990. "Foreign aid, taxes, and public investment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 355-369, November.
- Liutang Gong & Heng-fu Zou, 2001.
"Foreign Aid Reduces Labor Supply and Capital Accumulation,"
CEMA Working Papers
56, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Gong, Liutang & Zou, Heng-fu, 2001. "Foreign Aid Reduces Labor Supply and Capital Accumulation," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 105-18, February.
- Wijnbergen, Sweder Van, 1986.
"Macroeconomic aspects of the effectiveness of foreign aid: On the two-gap model, home goods disequilibrium and real exchange rate misalignment,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 123-136, August.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1985. "Macroeconomic Aspects of the Effectiveness of Foreign Aid: On the Two-Gap Model, Home Goods Disequilibrium and Real Exchange Rate Misalignment," CEPR Discussion Papers 45, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burnside, Craig & Dollar, David, 1997.
"Aid, policies, and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1777, The World Bank.
- Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2000.
"Aid effectiveness disputed,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 375-398.
- Krugman, Paul, 1987. "The narrow moving band, the Dutch disease, and the competitive consequences of Mrs. Thatcher : Notes on trade in the presence of dynamic scale economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 41-55, October.
- Fischer, Stanley & Alonso-Gamo, Patricia & Erickson von Allmen, Ulric, 2001. "Economic Developments in the West Bank and Gaza since Oslo," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(472), pages F254-75, June.
- Peter Hjertholm & Jytte Laursen & Howard White, 2000. "Macroeconomic Issues in Foreign Aid," Discussion Papers 00-05, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Robert Lensink & Oliver Morrissey, 2000. "Aid instability as a measure of uncertainty and the positive impact of aid on growth," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 31-49.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:02/198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.