Financial Liberalization and Real Investment; Evidence From Turkish Firms
There is increasing emphasis on the importance of efficient financial markets for sustained real investment and economic growth, yet limited empirical research on the effects of the deregulation of financial markets on the firm's investment decisions. The purpose of this paper is to model the impact of financial reforms on borrowing constraints faced by firms and to test the impact of financial reforms on the investment decisions of firms in Turkey. To do so, the paper builds a dynamic investment model, where financial variables and real investment are linked through the net present value of the firm. The derived investment model is employed to test whether Turkey's efforts at financial liberalization in 1980 were able to relax the borrowing constraints faced by Turkish firms. A dynamic panel data methodology is used on a panel data set of 1036 Turkish firms over the 1983-86 period. In addition, time-series analysis is employed on Turkish aggregate data over the 1971-91 period.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Keane, Michael P & Runkle, David E, 1992. "On the Estimation of Panel-Data Models with Serial Correlation When Instruments Are Not Strictly Exogenous," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(1), pages 1-9, January.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Jaffee, Dwight M & Russell, Thomas, 1976. "Imperfect Information, Uncertainty, and Credit Rationing," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 651-66, November.
- Haramillo, Fidel & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Weiss, Andrew, 1996.
"Capital market imperfections before and after financial liberalization: An Euler equation approach to panel data for Ecuadorian firms,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 367-386, December.
- Fabio Schiantarelli & Andrew Weiss & Fidel Jaramillo, 1993. "Capital Market Imperfections Before And After Financial Liberization: An Euler Equation Approach To Panel Data For Ecuadorian Firms," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 221, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jaramillo, Fidel & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Weiss, Andrew, 1993. "Capital market imperfections before and after financial liberalization : a Euler Equation approach to panel data for Ecuadorian firms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1091, The World Bank.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Schmidt, Peter, 1995. "Efficient estimation of models for dynamic panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 5-27, July.
- Guncavdi, Oner & Bleaney, Michael & McKay, Andrew, 1998. "Financial liberalisation and private investment: evidence from Turkey," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 443-455.
- Michael A. Salinger & Lawrence H. Summers, 1981.
"Tax Reform and Corporate Investment: A Microeconometric Simulation Study,"
NBER Working Papers
0757, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Salinger & Lawrence H. Summers, 1983. "Tax Reform and Corporate Investment: A Microeconometric Simulation Study," NBER Chapters, in: Behavioral Simulation Methods in Tax Policy Analysis, pages 247-288 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Denizer, Cevdet, 1997. "The effects of financial liberalization and new bank entry on market structure and competition in Turkey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1839, The World Bank.
- Hayashi, Fumio & Inoue, Tohru, 1991.
"The Relation between Firm Growth and Q with Multiple Capital Goods: Theory and Evidence from Panel Data on Japanese Firms,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 731-53, May.
- Fumio Hayashi & Tohru Inoue, 1990. "The Relation Between Firm Growth and Q with Multiple Capital Goods: Theory and Evidence from Panel Data on Japanese Firms," NBER Working Papers 3326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Whited, Toni M, 1992.
" Debt, Liquidity Constraints, and Corporate Investment: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1425-60, September.
- Toni M. Whited, 1990. "Debt, liquidity constraints, and corporate investment: evidence from panel data," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 114, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411.
- Stephen Bond & Costas Meghir, 1990.
"Dynamic Investment Models and the Firm's Financial Policy,"
CEPR Financial Markets Paper
0013, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Bond, Stephen & Meghir, Costas, 1994. "Dynamic Investment Models and the Firm's Financial Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 197-222, April.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:02/100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.