Corporate Restructuring in Japan; An Event-Study Analysis
The implementation of the Commercial Rehabilitation Law (CRL) on April 1, 2000 was considered a key event in setting up the official infrastructure supporting corporate restructuring in Japan. This study evaluates the stock price impact of restructuring announcements before and after the CRL implementation using event-study analysis. Following the CRL implementation, the results suggest an improvement in market credibility of restructuring announcements based on improvements in disclosure, mergers, and to a lesser extent, labor force reductions. In contrast, credibility of restructuring announcements aimed at reducing excess capital deteriorated.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Shivdasani, Anil, 1999. "Alternative mechanisms for corporate governance in Japan: An analysis of independent and bank-affiliated firms," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-22, February.
- David E. Weinstein & Yishay Yafeh, 1998. "On the Costs of a Bank-Centered Financial System: Evidence from the Changing Main Bank Relations in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 635-672, 04.
- Jun-Koo Kang & Rene M. Stulz, 1997. "Is Bank-Centered Corporate Governance Worth It? A Cross-Sectional Analysis of the Performance of Japanese Firms during the Asset Price Deflation," NBER Working Papers 6238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1990.
"The role of banks in reducing the costs of financial distress in Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 67-88, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990. "The Role of Banks in Reducing the Costs of Financial Distress in Japan," NBER Working Papers 3435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989.
"Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1991. "Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60.
- Shishido, Zenichi, 1999. "Japanese Corporate Governance: The Hidden Problems of the Corporate Law and Their Solutions," Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series qt0x2520bb, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
- Carlin, Wendy & Mayer, Colin, 2003.
"Finance, investment, and growth,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 191-226, July.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- Steven N. Kaplan, 1992. "Top Executive Rewards and Firm Performance: A Comparison of Japan and the U.S," NBER Working Papers 4065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mike Burkart & Denis Gromb & Fausto Panunzi, 1997. "Large Shareholders, Monitoring, and the Value of the Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 693-728.
- Michael S. Gibson, 1998. ""Big Bang" deregulation and Japanese corporate governance: a survey of the issues," International Finance Discussion Papers 624, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Steven N. Kaplan, 1997. "Corporate Governance And Corporate Performance: A Comparison Of Germany, Japan, And The U.S," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(4), pages 86-93.
- Randall Morck & Masao Nakamura, 1999. "Banks and Corporate Control in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 319-339, 02.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Yafeh, Yishay, 2000. "Corporate Governance in Japan: Past Performance and Future Prospects," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 74-84, Summer.
- "Hoshi, Takeo", 2002. "Japanese Corporate Governance," Economic Review, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 53(4), pages 289-304, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:01/202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.