Fiscal Expenditure Policy and Non-Oil Economic Growth; Evidence from GCC Countries
Through the use of a multivariate cointegration and error-correction model, this study investigates the short- and long-run relationship over the past two decades between fiscal expenditure policy and non?oil real GDP growth in member countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC). Despite the important role of the government, the empirical results do not strongly support that increases in fiscal expenditures tend to slow or accelerate non?oil real growth in these countries. However, the breakdown into current and capital expenditures is useful for assessing the effects of each spending category on short- and long-run non?oil real GDP growth.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alesina, Alberto Francesco & Perotti, Roberto & Tavares, Jose, 1998. "The Political Economy of Fiscal Adjustments," Scholarly Articles 12553724, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1995. "Fiscal Expansions and Fiscal Adjustments in OECD Countries," NBER Working Papers 5214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990.
"Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 103-126, October.
- Robert J. Barro, 1988. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, R.J., 1988. "Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth," RCER Working Papers 130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Barro, Robert J., 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth," Scholarly Articles 3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Tanzi, Vito, 2000. "The role of the State and the quality of the public sector," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), August.
- David Alan Aschauer, 1990. "Why is infrastructure important?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 34, pages 21-68.
- Sachs, Jeffrey D. & Warner, Andrew M., 1999. "The big push, natural resource booms and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 43-76, June.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J. & Fisher, Walter H., 1995. "The composition of government expenditure and its consequences for macroeconomic performance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 747-786, May.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti & José Tavares, 1998. "The Political Economy of Fiscal Adjustments," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(1), pages 197-266.
- Ghali , Khalifa H. & Al - Shamsi, Fatima, 1997. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth: A Study Relating to the United Arab Emirates," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio Industria Artigianato Agricoltura di Genova, vol. 50(4), pages 519-533.
- Vito Tanzi, 2000. "The Role of the State and the Quality of the Public Sector," IMF Working Papers 00/36, International Monetary Fund.
- Bruce Morley & Nicholas Perdikis, 2000. "Trade liberalisation, government expenditure and economic growth in Egypt," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 38-54.
- Tanzi, Vito, 2000. "The role of the State and the quality of the public sector," Sede de la CEPAL en Santiago (Estudios e Investigaciones) 34714, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Ahsan, Syed M & Kwan, Andy C C & Sahni, Balbir S, 1989. "Causality between Government Consumption Expenditure and National Income: OECD Countries," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 44(2), pages 204-224.
- Sinha, Dipendra, 1998. "Economic growth and government expenditure in China," MPRA Paper 18347, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anwar, Muhammad Sarfraz & Davies, Stephen & Sampath, R K, 1996. "Causality between Government Expenditures and Economic Growth: An Examination Using Cointegration Techniques," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 51(2), pages 166-184. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)