Capital Flows and Their Macroeconomic Effects in India
This paper documents trends in movement and composition of capital flows into India in a comparative perspective, examines the impact of these flows upon key macroeconomic variables in the economy, and dwells on implications for economic policy. We find that an inflow of foreign capital results in a real appreciation and has a significant impact on domestic money supply. During a capital surge, these effects have been countered through intervention and sterilization. The paper concludes with a discussion on the costs of these policies in the event of a heavy inflow of foreign capital into India.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose De Gregorio & Sebastian Edwards & Rodrigo O. Valdes, 2000.
"Controls on Capital Inflows: Do they Work?,"
NBER Working Papers
7645, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takatoshi Ito, 1999.
"Capital Flows in Asia,"
NBER Working Papers
7134, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Renu Kohli & Kenneth Kletzer, 2001. "Financial Repression and Exchange Rate Management in Developing Countries: Theory and Empirical Evidence for India," IMF Working Papers 01/103, International Monetary Fund.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000.
"Fear of Floating,"
NBER Working Papers
7993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda M. Koenig, 1996. "Capital Inflows and Policy Responses in the AsEAN Region," IMF Working Papers 96/25, International Monetary Fund.
- Sebastian Edwards & Francisco Gil Diaz & Arminio Fraga, 1999. "Capital Flows to Latin America," NBER Chapters, in: International Capital Flows, pages 5-56 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen Reinhart & Mohsin S. Khan, 1995.
"Capital Flows in the APEC Region,"
IMF Occasional Papers
122, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Khan, Mohsin, 1995. "Macroeconomic Management in APEC Economies: The Response to Capital Inflows," MPRA Paper 8148, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Khan, Mohsin, 1995. "Capital Flows in the APEC Region," MPRA Paper 8200, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark M. Spiegel, 1995.
"Sterilization of capital inflows through the banking sector: evidence from Asia,"
Pacific Basin Working Paper Series
95-06, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Mark M. Spiegel, 1995. "Sterilization of capital inflows through the banking sector: evidence from Asia," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 17-34.
- Classens, S. & Dooley, M.P. & Warner, A., 1995.
"Portfolio Capital Flows: Hot or Cold,"
501, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Takatoshi Ito & Kathryn M. Dominguez & Moeen Qureshi & Zhang Shengman & Masaru Yoshitomi, 1999. "Capital Flows to East Asia," NBER Chapters, in: International Capital Flows, pages 111-190 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takatoshi Ito & Anne O. Krueger, 1994. "Macroeconomic Linkage: Savings, Exchange Rates, and Capital Flows, NBER-EASE Volume 3," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ito_94-1, July.
- Chuhan, Punam & Claessens, Stijn & Mamingi, Nlandu, 1998. "Equity and bond flows to Latin America and Asia: the role of global and country factors," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 439-463, April.
- Kenneth Kletzer & Mark Spiegel, 1996. "Speculative capital inflows and exchange rate targeting in the Pacific Basin," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 96-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Michael Klein, 1996.
"Foreign direct investment, trade, and real exchange rate linkages in developing countries,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 73-100.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Michael W. Klein, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment, Trade and Real Exchange Rate Linkages in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 6344, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reuven Glick, 1994. "Exchange rate arrangements in the Pacific Basin," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue sep16.
- Hernandez, Leonardo & Rudolph, Heinz, 1995. "Sustainability of private capital flows to developing countries : Is a generalized reversal likely?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1518, The World Bank.
- Henning Bohn & Linda L. Tesar, 1996. "U.S. portfolio investment in Asian capital markets," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 43-72.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Hernandez, Leonardo, 1994. "Macroeconomic adjustment to capital inflows : Latin American style versus East Asian style," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1377, The World Bank.
- Renu Kohli, 2004. "Aspects of Exchange Rate Behaviour and Management in India 1993- 98," International Finance 0405010, EconWPA.
- Kohli, Renu, 2003. "Real exchange rate stabilisation and managed floating: exchange rate policy in India, 1993-2001," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 369-387, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:01/192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.